• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best portable flipover?

busse3775

I am looking at buying a new portable flip over house and upgrading to a thermal. I have narrowed my selections down to the Otter Pro XT1200 and the Clam X2 thermal. What are your guy's opinions on these portables?

What is the difference in the hitches on the Clams and Otter flip over houses? I want to be able to pull it with a snowmobile and a 4 wheeler. I was leaning more towards the Clam X2 Thermal more because Clam offers so many different accessories.

clam nanook thermal is the best 2 man in my opinion. the reason's i like it is:

Price point

Light weight wont blow your back out lifting them

Can stack 2 shacks in the back of the truck with room

seats fold down for low profile

How big of a guy are you? My buddy has one of these and I hate fishing in it. This house is way too short. It's fine for a quick trip and 1 hole per guy, but it doesn't hold a candle to my Otter Lodge.

They were continually sold out this season, and for good reason, they will be more available next year. Frabill designed a flip over with the door on the side versus in the front. Great idea instead of having to walk over your holes to enter and exit your house.

I'm sure Clam and Otter won't be far behind.

Lodge and Nanook are 2 completely different animals, and not even comparible IMHO. Of course the Nanook is cramped, but the X2 would be a better comp:

Clam Nanook Thermal: L 61” x W 83” x H 61”, 85 lbs (!)

Otter Lodge XT1200: L 76" x W 98" x H 77", 124 lbs

Clam X2 Thermal: L 73" x W 90" x H 76", 135 lbs

I am looking at buying a new portable flip over house and upgrading to a thermal. I have narrowed my selections down to the Otter Pro XT1200 and the Clam X2 thermal. What are your guy's opinions on these portables?

busse - Your decision will have to be made based on what you prioritize as the most important buying criteria. For instance, do you value lightweight vs. interior space vs. heavy duty frame vs. tub toughness vs. "out of box" accessories available vs. tub depth/size vs. price point?

It could be argued that each portable has it's strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I have a Frabill Predator based on what I felt was most important but that's just me.

The plus side to both of the options you mentioned is they are HQ'd in MN (I believe).

Yeah I really like the fold up hitch on the Otter XT 1200. Weight isn't a huge issue and I really like how large the Otter is in square footage in the inside. I have a Frabill predator right now and it gets pretty packed at times. I also want a bigger house for when I take my father fishing (He always seems to be tripping over rods and other things). I also have a friend that works for In Depth Outdoors and they do the media work for Otter. He states that they are a very durable and tough house so I think I may go ahead and purchase the Otter XT 1200 lodge.

Frabill designed a flip over with the door on the side versus in the front. Great idea instead of having to walk over your holes to enter and exit your house.

I'm sure Clam and Otter won't be far behind.

Not so sure that Otter will be copying them on this one. I didn't like how the poles work on this, when I checked it out at the store. Seemed less rugged to me and more of a pain to move from spot to spot than flipping over my cover on my otter lodge.

If you don't care about weight, just get the otter. One thing that you will want to pay attention to is the poles and the slide mechanisms. Try to give them all a try before buying if possible.

I am trying to make the same decision, I have it narrowed down to the Otter pro Lodge or a clam Jason Mitchell Thermal X. I'm leaning towards the clam right now. I'm going to Roges, Mn. next weekend to try and look at one when the Clam people are there.