Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Nilsfisher

Jiffy 30 ice auger

Just picked up a 1992-1993 jiffy 30 9 inch ice auger. It starts and runs really good and cuts the ice great. It is in really good shape. Any issues that I need to know to watch out for?

Thanks

I've had my big 10" grin for about 5 years. Worked great until I screwed up and made a mess of things. I was putting my ATV in the box of my truck and pulling a little trailer to carry my portable, auger, and stuff. When I'd get to the lake, I could just unhook the trailer, back the ATV off the truck, hook up the trailer to the ATV and away I go. Pulling the auger and portable behind my truck on that trailer was a really dumb idea. Any road slush and salt was being kicked up by my truck tires and contaminating my equipment. Eventually it dirtied up my carb forcing me to put a new kit in. Got it running again now and it works great.

My father got the old 30 (white power head) in the late 70's or eighties. Thing still runs and it has been abused to say the least. Heavy weight is the downside, sharp blades on it and it chews threw the ice. When it is super cold I just pull the alan screw off and take the head inside at the cabin and it starts like a champ then.

Kettle

Mine stays outside (in a storage shed) all the time. Prime it, pull the rope, and it usually starts within two to three pulls.

Pretty much bomb proof. Mine was a hand me down that sat for several years between uses. New spark plug and fresh gas and it started right up.

They are heavy so that's the one down side. But I'm convinced that you could run it over with your truck and it would still run. Probably damage your truck though.

Pretty much bomb proof. Mine was a hand me down that sat for several years between uses. New spark plug and fresh gas and it started right up.

They are heavy so that's the one down side. But I'm convinced that you could run it over with your truck and it would still run. Probably damage your truck though.

laughcool

I have wanted a new auger for years but my old jiffy simply won't die! The things simply won't die! I got mine second hand as well. Like nofish said, you could run the thing over and it wouldn't miss a beat! I agree with the heavy statements, but in my old age I either use the wheeler or truck, so it's not an real issue. All I've ever done to winterize mine is run it dry and fog the cyl.

I can't believe how heavy it really is. Good quality I guess. I like how it is made in the USA and there are still parts available for it. I can't wait to take it out fishing. Thanks for all the input. I think I made a good choice.

I have an ooollld jiffy (1967) with the single bar to hold on to, the throttle located on the top, and built in blade on the drill (non removable). Had John at Johns bait shop here in Faribault sharpen it for me last wkend, wow, what a difference. I thought it cut fast before. It was my dads since the 70s and then he gave it to me a few years ago cause he never uses it anymore. Only problem I have had with it is when its cold, the recoil doesn't like to go back in. Otherwise, always starts, and cuts like a SOB. Saying its heavy is an understatement, the thing could anchor the titanic.

I always figured it was the Jiffy 30 that sank the titanic. I heard a little know theory that crew members were busy stowing gear and someone unknowingly stowed one jiffy in the bow while another was being stowed in the stern. The combined weight pulling on opposite ends of the ship broke the dang boat right in half. Very tragic. But if you dove down and found those two jiffys in the wreckage I bet they'd still fire up by the 4th pull.

I have an ooollld jiffy (1967) with the single bar to hold on to, the throttle located on the top, and built in blade on the drill (non removable). Had John at Johns bait shop here in Faribault sharpen it for me last wkend, wow, what a difference. I thought it cut fast before. It was my dads since the 70s and then he gave it to me a few years ago cause he never uses it anymore. Only problem I have had with it is when its cold, the recoil doesn't like to go back in. Otherwise, always starts, and cuts like a SOB. Saying its heavy is an understatement, the thing could anchor the titanic.

A little WD-40 or some silicon could fix up that recoil for you.

thanks everyone for the input. I feel pretty good about the purchase. I took it to a local lake the other day after work just to check it out. I had to tweak the carb a little bit but other than that, it augered a hole pretty quick for 30+ inches of ice. it wanted to catch a little bit at the bottom of the hole but not bad. I maintain my equipment really good so im sure Ill have many years of use out of this.

Mine is 29 years old and still cutting. Tuned up this year for the first time, besides plug and minor adjustments. I have a 8" and a 10" Jiffy auger.

My father got the old 30 (white power head) in the late 70's or eighties. Thing still runs and it has been abused to say the least. Heavy weight is the downside, sharp blades on it and it chews threw the ice. When it is super cold I just pull the alan screw off and take the head inside at the cabin and it starts like a champ then.

Kettle

I also have a white model 30 late 1970s vintage, still runs good. It smokes a little as I run it on the rich side.

I replaced the original 8 inch auger about 7-8 years ago.

Mine is at least 20 yrs old and I finally had to have it tuned up for the first time last year and that was only because it ran so rough I was the only one who could drill with it. I got sick of having to drill all the holes for everyone I fished with. I have never touched the blade in all these years, still the original one. Heavy but it works.

They are the good old auger. Can be finicky motor with weather change. 85cc motor it is huge and has to be to turn that single chipper blade at that high rpm. I had one and liked the sound of the powerband scream. Wish more guys on the ice would tune them better... seems everyone using them does the Jiffy lean. All weight they can on the handles. Never needed to do that with mine though sharp blades grin. If I didn't care about weight I would still run it. Enjoy your drill for many years

would anyone happen to have a copy of the original manual laying around? I've searched the internet but everything that I've seen just points to the newer 30's and not the 1992-1993 year range.

Thanks for the link. That's the manual I'm finding. I think it's for the newer ones though, it references the fuel mix as 40:1 instead of 24:1. Im sure everything else is pretty much the same though. I'll keep looking. I just like having manuals for what I have.

Year makes no difference then why does,The answer to that is oil improvements.The first jiffys used straight 30 weight motor oil,It didn't lube very well in low concentrations.The now days oils are so much more of a fine lubricant less can be used.I use my left over outboard motor fuel on the jiffy and strikmaster at 50-1 mix.

Don't think you can mix straight 30 weight motor oil with gas.

There is a difference in oil and mixes, with out getting too much into it, the more oil in the mix (24:1) using regular 2cycle oil should lubricate the motor better than less oil (50:1) of regular 2 cycle oil. That being said, synthetic 2cycle oil is different and protects better that regular 2cycle oil so it can be mixed thinner.

Mine says 24:1 on the case. I'm going to use regular 2cycle oil and mix it that way. That's what the manufacture says for it to perform the best. Not saying other people are mixing gas wrong or their mix will hurt their motor, I'm saying I'm going to follow what it says on the case.

I have an older jiffy model 30 white head that was also a hand me down and has worked great up till this year. I cannot get the thing to cut decently. I put new chipper blades on it and put a file on the chisel point. Any thoughts on why it wont cut. It will cut about 4-5 inches then just sit there and spin.