• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bye Cassel

Scott M

Need a QB with a strong arm as good as our defense is, we be throwing it from behind quite often, I've often wondered why AP can't catch the ball, we all see what Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles or Percy Harvin or Welker or whoever can do when it gets in their hands quickly with some room to make a guy miss, 1st down you bet or more, it isn't like these passes are gunned in there or cover much more than 5-10 yards my god a world class athlete should be able to catch a soft little flicked pass, we need that otherwise he's just not an option when we drop back or go shotgun. QB is an issue, put the time into a young guy or go with an aging vet who is just wasting the young guys playing time, like the twins, time to regroup.

I still think there is a strong probability that Cassel returns to the Vikings. By voiding the last year year he can negotiate more years and more money. Of all the free agent QBs on the market he is probably the best fit for the Vikings and the Vikings are probably the best fit for Cassel.

Norv will keep Freeman. I still say that is the only reason they kept him on the squad as inactive for the length of the season...

Good Luck!

Ken

Its not up to us to keep Freeman. Freeman is a free agent so its up to him if he wants to resign with the vikings. Really it made no sense to hang on to Freeman. We paid the guy to ride the bench when we would have owed him nothing if we cut him. Basically just gave him free money and then let him walk away at the end of the year.

Letting him walk is fine with me, i just think they could have saved some money and let him walk after his one miserable start.

You are correct... He does not have to remain a Viking... I just think Lil' Ricky has a thing for him, so I wouldn't doubt that he was kept on the squad to give them the first stab at re-signing him...

Good Luck!

Ken

I wouldn't be suprised if Casell told the Vikes to G F Y's. If you were him, would you believe anything they had to say at this point?

The only news I'm interested in hearing from VikingLand is that Ponder has been released....

Very true, with all of Ponder's struggles you would have thought that Cassell would have been the Starter for many more games than he was. Those mysterious injuries just kept keeping him down.....

Wow. Truly a sad state of MN QB's if folks are this upset to see Cassel released... I wonder how many KC fans read this forum and are laughing their keesters off at reactions like "He's the best fit for the vikings!"

Freeman never had a fair shot here in a game. That's not to say he would have been any good later on, just simply stating he wasn't given a fair shot in a game. I'm wondering if they're not trying to develop him somehow. He has raw talent, that's for sure. He's also a head case and lacks work ethic allegedly, so that's not exactly encouraging, and doesn't do much to help 'development.'

I dunno. Like I said. Truly a sad state of MN QBeez.

At least there's no possibility of Cutler coming here. Before he signed with Chi-town I was scared we'd reach for him.

I think the fact that Cassel opted out, pretty much locks the Vikings into moving up in the draft and taking a QB. I like Manziel, and Bridgewater. I think Borltes could become a decent starter as well.

I was thinking if they kept Cassel, they may go after Watkins, with their 1st round pick. That would give any QB a couple really nice WR's, and a good RB to cover his butt. Take a QB with their second pick, then use the rest to fill in our defense. Complete the team with FA's, we will have plenty of cap space to spend on some decent FA's this off season.

You never know, Cassel may just resign with the Vikings for 2 years for more money.

Cassel is going nowhere. He just wants to be paid like a starter. He's got all the leverage here- there is no way the vikings will go into next season with Ponder as the number 1 unless they want to lose half of the fan base. I don't think they want to select a QB at #8 nor do they want to trade up. Cassel will resign with the vikes for a couple years at about 3 some million per.... thats my prediction.

And the vikes will select defense with their first pick and either trade back into the late first to get a QB or take one in the second rd.

Talk about overreaction Monday on a Wednesday.

This is a positional move for Cassel for sure. If he is going to be a starter, he wants to be paid like one. This by no means he will not be a Viking next year, but the chance is there. He wasnt exactly sought after last year and I dont think he did anything to garner a lot of attention this year.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

My bet is Cassel messed up on this move or the Vikes told him they wouldn't pay that much for a back-up QB (even through they could have waited) and both kept it on the down low as it is in both parties interest to not disclose and he will end up signing for less.

Do you think Turner might be intrigued by Freeman? Depending on how the draft falls if they don't get the QB they want early we will see 1. Freeman, 2. Cassel or god forbid..Ponder starting until a QB they draft is ready...unless Freeman can pull it off under Turner's guidance.

I really don't think Ponder has much of a shot of even being Rostered with the Vikes... with Frazier gone there isn't anyone really pulling for him. I don't think Slick Rick cares for him that much either.

To be honest, I think Cassel wants starter money, he knows the FA class this year is weak, and chances are someone will take a chance at him, since he had a decent year last season. I am thinking the Vikings want Cassel back, and Cassel will more then happily come back for a 2-3 year deal at 4-5 million per year. Knowingly he will be starting. More then likely for it to work out, it would have to have a team option after the first year, since Cassel will only be here for a mentor, and a teacher to Johny Manziel after we draft him in May smile

I am thinking Ponder will turn into a 7th round pick for us. I think some team out there will trade us, and we will take anything, including a jock strap for him, if we cant find any takers, he will be cut.

As for Freeman, I would sign him to training camp, with no guaranteed contract, or with out a roster spot, if he looks good, keep him as a back up, if not, he can go chuck balls in the the audience in some other stadium.

Ideally we draft Manziel with our 8th pick, Cassel signs a 2 year deal, and starts this year, and Manziel takes over next year, with Cassel mentoring him on the bench next year. Cassel is a smart QB, and I think he has what it takes to mentor a rookie.

Man I hope other teams out there think Cassel had a decent year last year and want to pay him a starters salary. I for one do not think he had a decent year. He had a less terrible year than Ponder had, would be more how I'd phrase it.

I'd much rather see the vikes go for McCown... if he's an option even.