• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you were restricted to only one fishing method on Lake Superior, what would you choose?

If I was told I could fish Lake Superior with one method and one only, it would be dipseys and spoons. Small dipseys early season for near surface, bigger for later in the year have all produced. I tried leadcore this year and it worked. But if only allowed one, dipseys all the way

My least favorite...downriggers.

Others?

I've never used downriggers, but dipsys have out fished leadcore 10:1 for me. I know on ID Outdoors the guys swear it's far better than riggers or dipsys, but I have yet to prove that.

The only downside is you have to drag up a flopping piece of leaded plastic that can help to shake the fish loose.

Wow! loaded question here.

I don't fish Superior but do fish Lake Michigan so I am going to take a swipe at this.

If we are talking trolling then I would have to say the most versatile way to fish would be deeper divers. I run the 85s and 107s early then switch to the 124s as the fish go deeper.

I love fishing riggers as they allow you to put the bait at the right depth every time and they also allow you to fight the fish without the drag of the diver, however for overall early to late season fishing the Deeper Divers are what I would turn to.

good topic!

I've never used downriggers, but dipsys have out fished leadcore 10:1 for me. I know on ID Outdoors the guys swear it's far better than riggers or dipsys, but I have yet to prove that.

The only downside is you have to drag up a flopping piece of leaded plastic that can help to shake the fish loose.

I've seen those videos were they use leadcore for big lakers and I never caught the giants they did and I also found the dipseys outfished the 'core.

I wouldn't restrict myself and no reason to but lets say I was forced to.

I'd follow the temp breaks on top. Mast and boards with stick baits, shallow - deep divers.

This would also lend in that since I'm forced to one presentation I'm prolly limited to funds and and a small boat. Which makes it all the better to travel/tow to said top water temp breaks.

If I was limited to a port with seasonal boat dockage then the above would be a very short window of productive opportunity. In that case it be downriggers. No matter what time of year it is there will be some lake trout tight to bottom. That is true even when you have good surface temps.

Late summer is the only time ive them mid to late Aug.Couple riggers at different depths and couple leadcore set ups with different amount of colors out behind boards to get a spread and find the depth their at and then dial it in from there once contact has been made.Never ran dipseys before, i will run a couple flat lines with snap weights if i have enough people in the boat along with the above setup.Im a rookie,only fished superior 10 times but ive allways caught fish,i only have a little boat so i havnt ventured too far either

Given only 1 choice it would be lead core ,,,I run my lead core on inline planers rather then a mast ,,,I can run 4 lead core lines on each side but wouldnt dare run more then 2 dipsies on each side,,,, but thats just my style of fishing,,,, I start using lead late june till I put the boat away ,,,spring its all surface with sticks till late june

Given only 1 choice it would be lead core ,,,I run my lead core on inline planers rather then a mast ,,,I can run 4 lead core lines on each side but wouldnt dare run more then 2 dipsies on each side,,,, but thats just my style of fishing,,,, I start using lead late june till I put the boat away ,,,spring its all surface with sticks till late june

LoonAsea: Why the inline boards instead of your Mast? You hooked me on the mast system a few years ago.

Doug when I run lead core ,,,I use 2,3 and 5 colors with 2 color being the farthest from the boat ,,,If the 2 color gets a fish I would have to pull the other 2 in to redeploy since the shallowest line always goes to the outside,,, this helps avoid the LCD (lead core disaster),,,With inline boards,,, you can run em out the back far enough,,,, engage the drag and the board will swing out avoiding any tangles

When I use the mast and big boards all the lines are out the same distance from the release and lures run at about the same depth,,,Hope this helps