• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best type of feeder and seed for winter?

waxworm09

I was wondering what everyone uses for feeders and seed in the winter? We use mainly sunflower seed and peanuts now. We have a platform feeder, a hopper, a tube feeder, a couple suet feeders, and a thistle feeder. In the summer they were all used all day, but the last couple months they only eat out of the platform feeder and the suet. We also hardly have any birds around, a couple woodpeckers, and a couple blue jays, a couple Chickadees, and a couple nuthatches. All summer we had tons of finches, and they disappeared along with most of the other birds. Is this normal in the winter? This is our first year putting out feeders, we put them all out in may and had to refill every few days up until fall, now they just sit full of seed, except the platform gets a few, and the woodpeckers eat the suet cakes all day long. Any advice on new seed or feeders to try this time of year? Thanks

Sharp Shinned hawks do a lot of damage around here.. I have tube feeders and house style. Oil seeds in all of them year round. Thistle goes out only if I see red polls. none this year. hundreds last year. also have 4 suet feeders out with a woodpecker blend. sometimes a peanut blend. once in a while I won't see many birds for a couple days, then whamo. tons of them again. Pretty good crowd most of the time.

In numbers, this hasn't been a stellar year for feeding birds here. Similar stories from others locally. We have 2 larger squirrel-proof (in name only) feeders filled with black oil sunflower/safflower mix year round, 2 screen and one tube feeder with thistle year round, a couple suet feeders swapped out for a nectar and jelly feeder when orioles and hummers show up, an ear corn feeder for squirrels, jays and red-bellies, and a tubular ear corn feeder on the brushy edge of the yard in winter. Each winter here has been different. So far lots of blue jays, woodpeckers, juncos, American tree sparrows, a few nuthatches and cardinals. Numerous house sparrows. Very few chickadees and goldfinches. Pheasants starting to show up. Hens in great shape.

Kinda new to feedin the birds. Am enjoying it. The winter has been so cold. I started last fall.have many diff. birds coming for the feed. Use, sunflower seeds, niger, peanuts, suet and crushed corn. have had as many as 30 doves on ground picking up the corn and sunflower. Oh I provided fresh water and they really seem to like that. Use a heated dog water bowl i had. Even at 30 below the water never frooze . Even saw a robin about a month ago. Put out some dried meal worms, but they were not touched. Saw the biggest woodpecker i have ever seen. Researched and found out it was a pileated. The thing was the size of a crow.As stated havent done much of this before and its helpped me with the long cold winter and i am sure the birds are liken it. I need to figure out the camera and post. Located in Chetek Wi.