Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
waxworm09

best type of feeder and seed for winter?

I was wondering what everyone uses for feeders and seed in the winter? We use mainly sunflower seed and peanuts now. We have a platform feeder, a hopper, a tube feeder, a couple suet feeders, and a thistle feeder. In the summer they were all used all day, but the last couple months they only eat out of the platform feeder and the suet. We also hardly have any birds around, a couple woodpeckers, and a couple blue jays, a couple Chickadees, and a couple nuthatches. All summer we had tons of finches, and they disappeared along with most of the other birds. Is this normal in the winter? This is our first year putting out feeders, we put them all out in may and had to refill every few days up until fall, now they just sit full of seed, except the platform gets a few, and the woodpeckers eat the suet cakes all day long. Any advice on new seed or feeders to try this time of year? Thanks

Sharp Shinned hawks do a lot of damage around here.. I have tube feeders and house style. Oil seeds in all of them year round. Thistle goes out only if I see red polls. none this year. hundreds last year. also have 4 suet feeders out with a woodpecker blend. sometimes a peanut blend. once in a while I won't see many birds for a couple days, then whamo. tons of them again. Pretty good crowd most of the time.

In numbers, this hasn't been a stellar year for feeding birds here. Similar stories from others locally. We have 2 larger squirrel-proof (in name only) feeders filled with black oil sunflower/safflower mix year round, 2 screen and one tube feeder with thistle year round, a couple suet feeders swapped out for a nectar and jelly feeder when orioles and hummers show up, an ear corn feeder for squirrels, jays and red-bellies, and a tubular ear corn feeder on the brushy edge of the yard in winter. Each winter here has been different. So far lots of blue jays, woodpeckers, juncos, American tree sparrows, a few nuthatches and cardinals. Numerous house sparrows. Very few chickadees and goldfinches. Pheasants starting to show up. Hens in great shape.

Sounds like the birds have good eating at your guys houses!

My parents are elderly and make it part of their day to check and fill as need the feeders everyday.

Kinda new to feedin the birds. Am enjoying it. The winter has been so cold. I started last fall.have many diff. birds coming for the feed. Use, sunflower seeds, niger, peanuts, suet and crushed corn. have had as many as 30 doves on ground picking up the corn and sunflower. Oh I provided fresh water and they really seem to like that. Use a heated dog water bowl i had. Even at 30 below the water never frooze . Even saw a robin about a month ago. Put out some dried meal worms, but they were not touched. Saw the biggest woodpecker i have ever seen. Researched and found out it was a pileated. The thing was the size of a crow.As stated havent done much of this before and its helpped me with the long cold winter and i am sure the birds are liken it. I need to figure out the camera and post. Located in Chetek Wi.