Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

I really don't think they fish out there with much more than portables. I could be wrong though. Maybe give the river rock inn bait shop in Ashland a call.

I have never seen more than a couple trucks on the Bay. You can never trust Lake Superior Ice no matter where it is. On the Bay you have rivers dumping in currents from open lake and the breaker wall. The hot water discharge from power plant. Most use sleds and Atv and portables or tepee's. Its best to consult a guide or bait shop. There are no organized plowed roads. I have not been to the bay this winter. Ashland had a 30 inch snow fall in December and do not know how that effected ice thickness. My Cabin is in Barnes South of there and even with this brutal cold. Our lake had only 11 inches of ice and was a slushy mess due to all the snow and we did not get that big storm. Northwest WI is very Different than North Central/NW MN. They get the cold but get way more snow. You do not see very many vehicles or permanent fish houses. Resorts do not put houses out or plow. I have never seen a Ice Castle North of Cumberland WI on a lake. DO not want to discourage you but do not drag an

Ice Castle 250 miles without calling ahead. I do not know any lakes in the Barnes area that are currently safe to drive trucks with or without an ice castle

Mwal

Mwal

Heard travel is extremely difficult...sleds and walking only. The bite has been decent according to a couple buddies. Heading out in the morning to see how the bite actually is.

Went out up by Bayfield, travel conditions were pretty good actually four wheelers would be no problem. The bite was decent iced one nice brown and 2 smaller splake. Kept a dozen nice perch missed one monster brown. 28 FOW

Had a solid 2 feet....should be good for a couple more weeks. Head out later this week for round 2.

Good bite out there yet, 2 nice herring and a nice brown. 3 smaller splake that were thrown back one was a fat 14.5 incher that was a good scrapper. Kept a half dozen nicer perch as well. The cool thing was seeing a bunch of fish under the ice probably saw 8 different fish under the ice got a couple to hit but only landed one, one of the herring the other herring was caught 20 ft down. Was out up near Bayfield again 28 FOW, 2+ feet of ice.

Hey Mozer, Have you ever icefished off the mouth's of either the Onion or Sioux rivers? I'm probably heading up that way this weekend and was wondering if it would be worth it to try either of these areas.

Yeah I have fished in the corner there. Just no consistency over there for me one day could be hot and the next you don't even mark a fish. Its been a few years since I have tho, I just keep going up the shoreline. Pike's Bay could be good now if you want to fish near a river mouth this weekend. There's a big ledge in the middle of the bay that can be really good (10ft to 40ft drop off) and the river dumps in near there. If you want to go farther up toward Bayfield PM me and I can point you into a decent area as well.

Thanks Mozer. I will likely be hoofing it as I don't have a snowmobile. So if I've been following this thread correctly I take it the west side of the bay is better for browns and splake and the east side is better for cohos and herring in general?

Its a mixed bag all over really but there are more browns north of Houghton Point up into Bayfield and beyond. Splake are usually Washburn and north The Ashland coal dock is hot right now for coho's and an occasional brown i know, thats a easy walking spot. And Bayfield has good easy walking spots. Either one of those spots will produce right now.

Made it out yesterday for the first time this year in Bayfield, got a late start wasn't fishing until 9:45. The bite was pretty good even with the late start lots of perch and smelt hanging around. Caught a big pout and a 6 lb brown. Missed 2 other nicer lake fish. 2+ feet of ice. 28 FOW.

Nice,

I did hear that they are moving the cones daily to be able to try and not mess up the landings to much. Shorelines are getting soft and eery things are happening on the main bodies. I might try and get out this weekend. I will keep ya posted.

As late as tuesday I've seen vehicles on the bayfield webcam traveling back and fourth to madeline island. Heard some reports today that conditions are spotty in places. As much as I'd like to get out there this weekend, I think I'm gonna play it safe and go to Ely instead.