• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water proofing..coats, boots, canvas..etc

LucasMN

What is your preferred way to water proof items such as your footwear, jackets, caps, fish house canvas...etc?

I'll be honest, I've owned boots and jackets that are labelled as water proof or resistant but never done anything more.

Until tonight that is. I picked up a can of Penguin Ultradry protector in a can and have sprayed all my shoes and boots. I'll re apply in the morn.

This got me thinking...should I spray my rain coats (for hunting) and my canvas on the Eskimo? What do you recommend? Wash or spray...prefernces?

I used a product called NIKWAX on my raingear. Brought it back to how it was when new. Two bottles, one a cleaner, and proofer. Don't know if it would work for boots, or canvas, etc, as it required a washing machine for application.

What I uses is similar to nikwax. I make my own out of equal parts beeswax, boiled linseed oil, and turpentine. I first slowly heat the beeswax, while constantly stirring. Then slowly pour in the beeswax while stirring. Finally I do the same with turpentine. I then take it off the heat and its ready. I usually use 8oz beeswax, 8oz boiled linseed oil, and 8oz turpentine. I like to apply it while it is liquid with an old brush of some kind. The traditional way is to let it cool to a thick grease like state and rub it in. Once applied to any fabric that will soak it up, run a heat gun or hairdryer over it. You will see the fabric darken, that is it soaking into the fabric. Once cooled it will be waterproof. I have done it to my jacket and boots. It then cannot be washed in a machine or it will no longer be waterproof. In a jacket it adds a lot of weight, but I actually like that.