• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weekend adventure on Mille Lacs

I had a trip scheduled for Mille Lacs last weekend, made arrangements to meet some friends at Appeldoorns on Friday. Discovered my heater wasn't working, took it to an RV guy a friend recommended. He had it running when I got there, drove it home, figured I would fire the furnace up while I was loading. NO GO, took it back and he couldn't get it going again. I just couldn't disappoint a friend who was coming up to stay with me. So headed out Friday morning early, stopped at the big M store and bought an electric heater (had my Honda generator with). Got to Mille Lacs, set up drilled holes with my new ION (love it) got the electric heater fired up. Rest of the weekend went like this, high winds, fill the generator every 4 hours, door kept freezing shut, need to run to town for more gas, road drifted shut had to wait to get plowed out, kicked in the Mr. Buddy heater till I could go to town, went to dinner Saturday night, generator runs out of gas, door knob freezes shut and the de-icer is in the Yetti, run back to town and ended up having to by a little tube of lock de-icer, back to door, use de-icer still no go, remembered I had a hairdryer in the car, plugged it into the generator and stood there for at least 20 minutes trying to thaw the handle, friend from next door came over and had the strength to get it open. All this time not a bite! Sunday we get up and was getting ready to leave, had so much snow drifted in front and back of one wheel I couldn't budge the Yetti. Also my cord to the generator froze into the ice, Paul from Appeldoorns chipped it out with a pickaxe, then he had to use the axe to clear the snow from in front of the wheel, and finally hooked a chain up to me and pulled me out. All this time the wind was howling stronger and stronger. Frightening drive home in near whiteout conditions.

Morale of this story: I shouldn't go to Mille Lacs, every time I do I bring horrific weather with me. Appeldoorns has the best crew I have ever seen, they went out of their way all weekend for me and the rest of their customers. A big thanks to Paul, Kevin and the rest of the crew, you guys are the best.

PS Next adventure Red Lake next weekend