• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lightest, Most Comfy Water Proof Boots/Jacket/Pant/Gloves??

Majestic

Question

Hi, I was just offered a new job being a meter reader. It involves alot of walking and this time a year that means through all this snow!! Trick is to dress warm enough not to get cold but not too warm where you over heat and get cold.

What are some of the lightest, comfy, waterproof boots out there? I don't want much for insulation because I will be moving for most of the day and don't want to overheat.

Any recommendations for boots?

Also looking for recommendations on jacket, snow pants, and gloves. Remember though not too warm, I have alot of winter gear that is warm but would be a pain to move around in all day. I want to get geared up right to make the job less painful....Thanks

11 answers to this question

I have a pair of Red Wing 1412's that are great for work in the winter.

Waterproof, light, durable, and extremely comfortable for walking.

I use them for down to 0 degrees F, but below that I need warmer boots and resort to Mucks which are very warm but not anywhere near as comfortable for walking long distance.

muck boots...

+1

I was thinking about that the other day when I saw the meter reader's tracks through the drift in my side yard.

If it were me: jacket: Filson Double Mackinaw. pants: Gore-tex cover pants over thermals and fleece. Gloves: wool fingerless gloves under choppers. Boots: I agree mucks might not be for long walks, so Danner Pronghorns...maybe add some gaters to keep the snow out, or tight-cuff the pants.

OK, maybe not. That's about $750! yikes! But you could use all of that for hunting, too!

I've been really happy over the many years with my old Rocky Cornstalkers with 1200 grams of thinsulate/gortex. I wear them for any winter activity including snow machining, ice fishing, etc...For deer hunting I add a heater pack for the morning and good to go. Pretty much live in them at the cabin this time of year. I suppose the model name has changed by now but I haven't had to shop for new boots in many years.

For my boot I went with the Danner Striker II GTX Uninsulated Tactical. They are only 3lbs a pair, waterproof, breathable, and a GORE-TEX liner. Light weight and waterproof was key, I think being on the move all day I don't need any insulation. I also picked up a few pairs of Merino wool socks, some mid-weight hiking and some heavy-weight along with a few pairs of polypropylene liners.

I tried on the Pronghorns but they didn't feel as comfy to me as the Tacticals. An added bonus was the Tacticals were on sale for $129.

Grabbed some Ice Armor and Seirus gloves, I already have some chopper mitts that fold back and free my fingers I'll try those also.

Face masks and Balaclavas were about picked dry, couldn't find much for those but I have a couple. It was pretty slim pickings out there this time of year I think the stores are about ready to start putting the Spring gear out.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I looked into every suggestion. Still not done shopping yet though.

My son is a meter reader up in northern MN and if you looked at him you would think he would freeze to death. He is not over dressed because of the body heat he generates walking through the snow. He wears some sort of boot that he slips over his keen hikers. It has a rubber high topper lower and uppers that resemble gaiters. I'm not sure what the brand is, but they are sold by outdoor shops. Even in this below zero he works in a hoody slipover sweatshirt and a construction style carhart jacket. For pants he uses an uninsulated goretex outer with sweatpants or light fleece base layer. For socks he uses light wool Wigwam or Smartwool hikers which he always asked me to get him for birthdays and Christmas. On windy days he couple light baklavas to cover his face.

I once gave him a pair of Rocky pac boots and he said he couldn't wear pacs because of how clunky and heavy pacs are.