• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much # thrust needed for a 17'6" boat??

tjwierz2

Question

I previously had a 50# thrust Minn Kota Maxxum with a short shaft, approx 39"...on my 17'6" Crestliner.

I was PLANNING on getting the 55 pound thrust Autopilot with the 48" shaft. I thought 50# was plenty, but i only used it once...in about 15 mph wind.

Any suggestions? What do you guys use on your boats this size? Will 55# be enough? If I go bigger....I will need to buy a 24V battery as well, not something I really want to do.

Thanks.

15 answers to this question

I'd go 24v if at all possible. You'll be able to run it longer and harder. Something in the 55-70 lb. range should be fine for that boat, but go 24v without a doubt if you can.

I went with a 60" on a 17' Lund, and I've been in waves where it was necessary. Most of the time you could get by with less though.. I would opt for the 54" if they have one in the model your looking at... I went with Pinpoint, and they were only available in 50 and 60".

Definitely max the thrust though.. If you fish in high winds and/or current you will appreciate the xtra power.

I bought the 55lb, 48" autopilot for the same reasons you're concerned about and I regret it. I have a tough time keeping my 16 foot Whaler in position on windy days. The whole motor comes out of the water and spins nothing but air when there is a chop (which is most of the time). Also, get the permanent mount because the removeable unit is a pain to lift out of the brace and deploy. I would like to sell mine and get the 74 lb Minnkota or the 109 lb Motorguide with a 60" shaft. I hate having to anchor all the time because my 55 lb, 12 volt ran out of juice after the first hour or the shaft is too short to reach the water. Anybody interested in a used Minnkota? What would be the best charging system for a 24 or 36 volt set up? I like the stealth because it charges off the outbourd alternator so you don't need to use an extension cord to an outlet. Any thoughts?

Whaler, How much time did you get on average with the MinnKota on a 12V battery? Im a little worried that the Autopilot features will drain the battery quicker.

[This message has been edited by tjwierz2 (edited 02-15-2003).]

i have a 74# on my 17-8 ranger and am very happy with it. my boat came with 24 volt wiring. my older 44# 12/24 just didn't come close to making it when a wind came up. i would recomend going to a 24 v system and the extra power. del

Hmmmm... you guys got me thinkin. I'm going to step up to the 24v 65# AutoPilot/CoPilot/Universal Sonar. I'm starting to river fish more... and could use the extra thrust with longer battery life. Also wanna hook up the FL18 to the bow. Anyone interested in a used (1 year) 12v Autopilot 55#? Not sure of the shaft length... I believe it's 54".

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."

I also have a 17-½ foot boat. Fish hawk, I use a 64-pound trust power drive great unit. It works well in the shallows, as well as shooting across the bay. Where it takes a dump is trying to stay vertical in open water with a good wind. At all cost go with the 24 volt. Spend the money now and save the dead batterie problems. You won’t be sorry, they will run all day without loosing thrust.
C&R~~~~>’)))))><