• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing rod Handle?

Moose

Hey all I have a question regarding a DH Custom Aldente Nooddle Rod. First of all I LOVE THIS ROD but the handle is to small for my hand. Ya I got a bear paw as my Dad use to say. My question is can I remove the existing handle and replace it with a handle with a real seat which will make the handle larger. I really don't like tape on my reels and the rings DH put on the rod are ok but I use my reels both summer and winter so just like the ease of a handle with a reel seat.

as long as there is enough space left between the last guide and the handle you should be able to have it switched out. how long of rod is it. you could go with something like a 3 inch long rear grip then a size 16 reel seat and then a 1 1/2 inch fore grip. so over all length of the handle would be 9 inches.

here is one of my ice rods I built with a reel seat. it is only a 1" diameter grip. it could be done with cork and made into a larger diameter if that is what you like.

full-29971-41996-100_3720.jpg

Like Brad B said, for the most part.

Ice fishing rods are easer to modify then open water rods.

By too small are defeating to the diameter? DH uses a 7/8" diameter handle.

Grips can be removed and a new one can be built from the rear. Simple mod for a rod builder. If you were to go with a longer handle I would look at extending the blank to keep reel to stripper guide spacing correct.

I would like to try it myself, are there any distributors in the NW metro area that would carry something like Brad posted in cork. I found one on mudhole but they want as much for shipping as the grip.

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Ice-Rod-Building/HKFI-3-Ice-Rod-Handle-Kit-with-Cork-Grips

Also how do I go about removing the old grip?

AW you mentioned extending the blank. How do I do that? I wouldn't min having the rod a little longer. Will it effect the action of the blank?

A 1" diamater would be nice.

Thank you for the information.

I would like to try it myself, are there any distributors in the NW metro area that would carry something like Brad posted in cork. I found one on mudhole but they want as much for shipping as the grip.

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Ice-Rod-Building/HKFI-3-Ice-Rod-Handle-Kit-with-Cork-Grips

Also how do I go about removing the old grip?

AW you mentioned extending the blank. How do I do that? I wouldn't min having the rod a little longer. Will it effect the action of the blank?

A 1" diamater would be nice.

Thank you for the information.

mud hole is where I got that grip. I placed a larger order(multiple items for other projects) so I could off set the shipping cost of that. I went with the EVA foam on this because it is one of my ice rods for channel cat fish. I did my crappie rod with the cork grips like this.