• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yesterday I had the pleasure of taking an older gentleman named Howie ice fishing on Lake Winnipesaukee. Howie has probably forgotten more about fishing than I know. We were joined by my good friend Mark B. and Jason from NH Fish and Game, and a surprise visit from Colonel Garabedian put the cherry on top of this Sunday of a Saturday.

When we started the day it was 1 degree and breezy. The wind picked up Until around mid day and we found it necessary to fish inside the Nanook Thermal. Thanks to the buddy heater we were able to arrive back at the truck at dark, nothing more than tired and smiling.

With three machines and three Nanook Fish Traps we were able to utilize a run and gun style of fishing that kept us catching fish all day. At times it felt more like hunting than fishing. We began in nineteen Mile Bay and worked several miles out from there. We would identify a key area on a chart, headed to it, and check for activity with the Vexilar. We found fish every time except for one spot.

We fished breaks and inside turns, and focused on around 30 feet of water. We caught fish on almost every lure we tried. When we located schools of fish, they ate anything we dropped down, baited or not.

Howie caught tons of white perch (several that were over two pounds) and a decent lake trout. We released everything except what we wanted to eat. At the end of the day he told me that it was the best day he'd ever had ice fishing and one of the top five best fishing trips of his entire life. Pretty good coming from a guy who has fished all over North America. I am humbled and can think of few things more rewarding.

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

The scenery was good.

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

Running and gunning

IMG_1883.jpg