• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The temperature has been dropping the last few days and so far I have stuck it out but have had a tough go at it. Yesterday my buddy left the keys to my truck in the bed, under the hardside tonneau cover and somehow locked the tailgate. Out of cell service and miles from the nearest store, it took about 5 hours to get the situation resolved. Having to wait for assistance, we stayed close to the truck and made the most of it. During that time I was able to stick a few smelt and lakers while fishing shallow. By shallow I mean less than 3 feet of water. Probably the toughest part of the day was the numbers of lakers I hooked up with and wasn't able to land. While I was gone trying to find a phone to use my rod ended up in the water and the reel froze up solid. With no access to a backup rod, I was trying to lift lakers with no drag. It was probably comical to the people watching me! The smelt were thick but the bite was tough. Not being able to trek out to my coordinates with the bucket of smelt sure was tough!

Here are the smelt: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202371397221895

2014-01-20_07-51-42_256.jpg

2014-01-20_11-18-42_280.jpg

2014-01-20_15-59-41_11.jpg

Nice....We fished yesterday and it was brutal first thing in the morning. I think my eyes froze up, lol. I definitely didn't prepare for extreme temp's that is for sure.

Seeing your mud puppy catch and seeing what we saw yesterday on our camera I have come to realize there is much more below the surface of the water than we typically see. While fishing for lake trout we had a stick looking object move up to one of our pieces of chum. It had small almost centipede type legs but not nearly as many legs. It ended up latching onto a piece of chum and then just sat there on the camera. Later in the day a very small fish came along. It would scurry along the bottom and ended up burying itself in the silt layer. We have no clue what species it was. Maybe a small cusk??? Tough to tell. Then a little later after that a laker comes in picks up the piece of chum with the stick looking object attached and we figure he got himself a double bonus meal. He ended up spitting out the stick and the chum. So the stick object lives to see another day!

I'll try to get the videos up on you-tube. I only wish I started filming sooner so you could have seen everything we saw. What I ended up getting was just the end of it all. Oh well. Interesting to see it anyway.

Spike