• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LakeMaster Lake Maps

metrojoe

Question

I noticed that the new software hit the shelves this week. It now includes 255 lakes instead of just 100 and it appears to be about the same price.

To those of you who use this mapping software, How do you like it? and is it user friendly?

Sounds like an awfully good deal.

Scoot,
Are you talking about White Earth in Becker county? Did you have to order that one or did it come on the lakemaster minnesota package? I was thinking about getting the software, but I really wanted White Earth. If they have it, I will buy it.

I'd have to definitely agree with Derek and metro. Also, I disagree with much of what Youngbleed said. While it's pretty obvious that if you aren't fishing fish, you're not going to catch anything. However, where do you typically find fish, particularly on a lake you aren't overly familiar with?- on structure. How do you find structure? By far the quickest and easiest way is with the custom mapping program. Youngbleed, I absolutely agree that if you fish the waypoint you marked on the map while at home you're missing the point. But, if you think that's what this program is designed to be used for, then I'd say you are missing the point. It gets you to the structure. After that, you've got to get to the fish- that happens with your electronics and snooping.
Yes, if you're talking about a 10 acre puddle, it's pretty tough to hide a piece of structure. But, like Derek said, there's lots of pretty large lakes that aren't offered on Lakemaster or other software.
It's a dang good product! I've been very happy with it and it sounds like others have made good use of it too.
Scoot

Youngbleed- fair enough! No hard feelings taken.
Huntnfish- I don't have Lakemaster, a buddy of mine does. I believe WhiteEarth (Becker Co.) is on there, but I don't remember for sure- I've been using the custom mapping and haven't bothered getting coordinates from my buddy since I got the custon map. Where you located? Do you fish WhiteEarth often? I fish it a few times each summer and typically struggle out there. Seems like a fickle little bugger to me. I have done well at times, but more often done poorly. I do seem to pick up a few tricks each summer though. Slowly, I'm figuring it out.
Scoot

Scoot,
My dad has a place on White Earth, so I fish it about 4-5 times a summer. That lake is very finicky. Once and a while I will get lucky and find the right point or hump, but not all that often. Are the custom maps that you are talking about available in stores? White Earth is a big lake and it would help to have something to get me in the right ballpark.

Some of you have mentioned the high price point $20 of the custom maps. I realize that it may seem high, but these are really custom maps. By that I mean, the calibration doesn't exist before you contact the company. This is not mass-production designed to meet the needs of 100,000 people. They are calibrating a map for you and only you. Now if someone else orders the map there is a chance it will be sold again but they are not marketing this map again currently.

I don't believe there will ever come a time when a company such as Lake Master has every lake in Minnesota covered. There are too many and it isn't worth a company's time to do it. There will always be a market where someone needs this type of service done. That is why it is called Custom Lake Maps.

So, the price may seem a little high but they are worth it. What is your time worth? People will spend $150 to go with a guide for a half or full day to learn a little more about a lake. Is $20 too much to quickly get on structure?

What some of you are comparing the maps too is similar to a smorgasbord? If you had to buy each of the items of food you could never do it but how many of the items do you eat. Of the 200+ lakes on the Lake Master CD, how many will you actually use? If the answer is 5-10, then the custom maps would be about the same price because their price goes down as you order more maps too.

The product is designed for fisherman who need a few lakes and don't want to buy 200 or want lakes that are not on the list of 200. Also, the shareware software used is really cool too.

I forgot to mention one other thing. There are many companies and people saying they can calibrate a map. However all calibrations are not equal. If 5 people are using the same base map and calibrate the map, the calibration can vary dramatically.

Lots of people/companies use road data to calibrate the maps, but the DRN maps do not have precise enough road data for a good calibration. If done in this manner, it causes tremendous errors in the calculation. Many people charging very little money for them are using this technique.

The Custom Map Services uses satellite technology to calibrate the map. This is very time consuming but provides a better outcome. However, the calibration is only as good as the integrity of the base map which is still from the DNR for most maps.

He's alive! I wondered when you'd chime in grin.gif
After this cold snap dies, I'm heading out to the "spot". Maybe next week, but probably the week after. Let's get out there, eh?
Scoot

Derek-

Yes... it's for the Lakemaster maps. I've tried it on the water last year with a laptop. It worked, but any movement would cause the "re-draw" effect. If you are stationary (i.e. on the ice), then you are ok.

I'm debating between the Edge and the Lowrance x-15 with this on it. I'll porobably old off on the Lowrance, and see how this first release on the MMC cards goes. I'm liking the Edge better anyways.

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."

Got a tip for those of you using the Custom Maps on the FM site. Many people feel they actually need to see the map as they move across a lake. You can do this if your GPS supports NMEA, have a laptop and use the Custom Maps. I have done this many times. To be honest, marking your waypoints and printing out a map seems to work just fine also.

However, the tip I was going to share is if you want to mark structure on your GPS from the map, but don't want to spend a ton of money for a new Lowrance LCX-15 and the memory cards, use the custom maps on the site and the tracking feature.

You can trace around the structure with the track feature of the software and then upload the tracks to the GPS. If you want to draw contour lines around a hump, you can do this and upload the lines to the GPS. This should work with any GPS that supports tracks.

Just a quick tip.