• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LakeMaster Lake Maps

metrojoe

Question

I noticed that the new software hit the shelves this week. It now includes 255 lakes instead of just 100 and it appears to be about the same price.

To those of you who use this mapping software, How do you like it? and is it user friendly?

Sounds like an awfully good deal.

The basic package that now includes the extra lakes is a great starting tool. You will find that the maps are not very accurate but are a great start.

Lakemaster now sells Pro Series Maps and the Reelbottom series. These maps are excellent and I have found the GPS coordinates to be very accurate off them, especially with the Reelbottom maps. These maps are all upgrades and will cost you extra but are worth it if you fish one of the lakes a lot.

I am still waiting for the card for my X-15 so I can get all these maps right on my graph.

I forgot to add it is very user friendly and easy to run. If you have a GPS that is compatible with the software you will be able to store ALL you waypoints in the system. Basically it is a backup for your GPS. This alone makes it worth the price.

[This message has been edited by Scott Steil (edited 02-11-2003).]

I just picked my up from this site about two weeks ago, its cheaper if you order it from here.

The way I look at it your getting all those lakes for about 35 cents a map! If you buy a Reelbottom version of Mille Lacs or another lake that is available in Reelbottom. Much less if you just buy the MN lakes version.

I wouldn't hesistate, you really can't go wrong here and these guys also have geat customer and technical support too!

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 02-11-2003).]

Hey Scott how does that work, getting the lake maps on the chip and onto your graph. Are these Lake maps and contours imported right onto the graph screen while you have that memory in that chip.
I also have the lcX-15. Dont have the GPS for it yet though, thats coming this summer. I was just curious.

Sweet Graph isnt it

I will try to make this brief because we covered it in the Equipment forum already. Soon you will be able to buy a MMC card for your X-15 that will show contours on your GPS. Lets say you are driving across Mille Lacs, you will be able to see the 1ft contours on your GPS if you have the card that contains the Reelbottom maps. I am very excited about this technology. Lakemaster is working on many other popular lakes to add to their pro series maps.

Real time? Maybe I am missing something? You can update your signal every second the only time it should have any trouble is when you are going so slow(<1mph) the the error in the signal shows you moving around, and can't always tell which way you are heading. Also as for interference I am not sure what you mean either? These signals are weak, but they do not get interupted by weather and such. I have never experienced any interference problems in thousands of hours of use? These will be as real as it gets.

I agree bigeyes. My statement was a joke. The only delay I can see would be a processor delay, which shouldn't be noticable. The map pages reload very quick as you scroll across the lake without the GPS active, I can't imagine any delays.

The whole Global Positioning System would have to be out of wack then. How would a GPS work if it is not in real time? The MMC cards simply show the background map for where your GPS locates you.

Like Scott said, the only delay will be processor delay. This may happen slightly when traveling over 60 across the lake, but it shouldn't be noticable. The maps will shine when your using them for rigging or trolling. There won't be any delay at all.

Crappieman, do you have your GPS set to the right units? I don't know about the coordinates on the wiffer map, but the coordinates on the reelbottom map are set in Degrees, Minutes, Point Minutes. A coordinate would look like N46 18.425'. Your GPS could be set up in Degrees, Minutes, Seconds. That same coordinate would look like N46 18' 25.5". If you tried to put the first coordinate in the second format N46 18' 42.5" you would be almost a mile off.....hopefully that didn't confuse you more......

Flying Fish,
What you posted was exactly what I needed. THANKS. It now makes sense. Now when I am on the lake and need a new point that I did not downlod from Lake Master I will be able to do it. That is why this forum is so great. Any question that is ask , some one knows the answer smile.gif
Thanks again
Ken

Scoot, I see you have bought a lot of those custom maps. You must think that these maps are worth the $20.00 a piece?
I was thinking about getting the lakemasters CD but they dont cover many of the smaller lakes that I fish.
Maybe I will get the lakemasters and a few of the custom maps as well, what do you think of that?
I just thought that $20 per map seemed a little steep when you can get 250 maps for $50.00
Thanks for your input,
Dave

$20 a map may seem a little steep. The three map set the way to go. But when you can get a custom map of your favorite lake, its pretty much priceless. The program that you get with the custom maps is well worth the price. You can transfer GPS points to and from your GPS and they are many other features.

Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Derek,

What lakes have you used them for? I've used them for White Earth, Lida, Ottertail, Big Pine, Little Pine, Cotton, Big Cormorant, and a few others that I'm forgetting. I find them especially helpful for lakes that are a little smaller, but that have a lot of cool structure. Helps me find "the spot" in 1/10 the time.
Scoot

Scoot,
All the Lakes you listed come with the new LakeMaster Minnesota. I'm sure these custom maps are great, but 3 lakes cost almost as much as the entire Minnesota package. Just for the seven lakes you mentioned you paid well over $100.00.

For me to get maps for all the lakes I fish in a year I'd have to spend almost three times the cost of LakeMasters Minnesota Edition.

Yeah, I listed only the ones on the top of my head. I've got maps for a ton of other smaller lakes too. Like Derek said, the maps are basically priceless to me. I think it might be a good option to get a "big lake" product and then buy whatever custom lakes that aren't covered from Kirsch.
Metrojoe, I'd guess you fish a number of lakes that aren't covered by lakemaster or any other product besides the custom maps we're talking about. These smaller lakes are really where the custom lake maps shine.
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 02-15-2003).]

On most of the small lakes I fish I could probably get by without coordinates, but it would be nice to mark a spot where I have caught fish, especially if there isn't any decent structure to relate to.

I think the software offers an equally important function in getting me on the structure. The softeware allows me to reduce the search area to size of the piece of structure I want to fish. Then when I have found the fish I reassign those coordinates.