• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Magellan SporTrak- most accurate gps???

lakevet

Question

After following all the gps postings I have seen alot of personal opinions on gps handhelds. Going onto an independent gps testing HSOforum that was in a post here I find that Magellan's SporTrak impressed them enough to be called the most accurate consumer gps they have reviewed. It was tested against Garmins 76 series and was much more accurate. I was leaning toward Garmin because of its reputation but it looks like Magellan has passed them. I have gotten alot of positive input on Garmin but everyone who says the Magellan is no good is either selling me a Garmin or has never used a Magellan SporTrak. Also any comparison on other features would be great. I am particularily interested in hearing from all you SporTrak users as there already is alot of Garmin input.

Thanks!

Lakevet

4 answers to this question

Howdy

I have been asking lots of questions about gps's my self. Go to the winni forum,there have been a lot of great replys to my questions.

It is posted as a question for Ron but should have put everyone,so I could get anybodys input.

I am on the teeter totter as far as Ifinder,and the sport trak go.

Dollar for dollar, and feature for feature, you'll find it hard to beat the Sporttrak Pro. The screeen is bigger than the Etrex line, and the 32 megs of available memory stand apart from anything Garmin produces in the two to three hundred dollar range. I own 2 Garmins and a Sporttrak. For the average user, you can't beat the Magellan. Now if they'd get on the ball and expand their cartography department...........

This is an interesting deal- you'll get different degrees of accuracy from different gps units at different times. A Sporttrak might be extremely accurate at noon and less accurate at 3:00 (sattelite position mostly). Also, all of the gps units offer esentially the SAME accuracy if you're comparing apples to apples (WAAS vs. WAAS, etc.) Although they use slightly different equations to calculate their position, they offer the same end result. Don't be fooled by a companies claims of accuracy or a so called "independent" assessment of any one unit- if you're comparing comporable hardware/software, the units are the same for accuracy.
I've owned a Magellan, Garmin, and Lowrance- all offer good products. I currently own a map 330, but if I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get a Sporttrak.
Scoot

I went with the I Finder. I will let you how I like it when I figure it out. There is a lot of info in a little package.So far its been pretty neat,has a compass,spedometer and all kinds of cool things.