• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Nipigon

I always told myself if I was ever going to take a trip into Canada, Nipigon would be tops on my list. I just watched Butch Furtman's sportsmen journal, and he was fishing out of onaman river resort. Has anyone stayed there, or any other resort on nipigon before. What was the experience like?

JB, one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been. Onaman is way up the NE side, a long pull. I haven't been there in quite a while, but here is what I found. Not many ways to access the lake, pretty much a couple spots on the east side, and South bay. We stayed at an old resort on the long, narrow bay on the SE corner. Decent and cheap. At the time, I had a Yarcraft 1781 w/60 tiller. Folks considered it a rowboat. Nipigon is huge. And very open. And very deep, 200' is not deep on Nipigon. There are a few island groups but it's mainly open water. In 3 days of fishing, we saw 4 boats with 2 of them being MNR boats...looked like 40 footers or so and the others being larger, looked like cargo carriers. There is a landing/park up the east shore a ways. Probably a little more traffic up that way but not much. A favorite area is due west from that landing, the Shakespeare Islands. We stayed on the south end of the lake. Talked to a couple different large sailboats heading for the north end. They said there is nobody up there....40 - 50 miles or so. That deep, cold water (water temp in the mid 50's mid August holds monster lakers. Probably the biggest drive-to trout period. Trolling is what most everyone does, but I wasn't equipped for that at that time, so we jigged like we do on other trout lakes. We were told jigging wouldn't work...wrong. We also caught brookies in a couple small bays where mayflies were hatching. No monsters but nice ones.

All in all, a spectacular destination.

Good luck.

p.s. search for Kamahn on here. Could be wrong on the spelling. He lives up there and could help you out I think. If I ever get back up there, I will be calling him.

I have stayed at Onoman and am going back again this year. Great location for gettting on the lake (about a 5 mile river boat ride). It is a long ride on a gravel road to get there. Cabins are nothing special but do the trick. Also some of the best walleye fishing in Canada out of the resort.

Thanks for the info guys! Onaman was the resort I focused on most, they appear pretty cheap too. I figure I can combine this with my annual Grand Marais trip, which would basically cut the driving in half. My little boat would be perfect for the river, but I wouldn't dare take it out on the lake! Brook and lake trout would be my main focus, then pike. I've seen plenty of moose in my life, but would love to see some caribou up there! Are they pretty common? hoping to make this trip happen as soon as June 2015. Thanks again guys!

JB--Onamon River Resort was a bush camp for Abitibi Pulp and Paper Co up until 1980 or so. Thats why it is located about 10 klicks up river from Humbolt Bay on the main Lake. The river and the Bay for some distance out is mostly Pike and Walleye water. It was a big camp too--150 men.

If I were you and your looking for trout I would troll spoons in close to the North Shore of the Bay as far out as you can get. Keep looking for rocky shoals and work them by casting. Little Cleo's 2/5 oz in silver and blue and brass and red. Its doable even in a small boat but keep an eye on the weather. In June trout will be up shallow--both Lakers and Specks. Get a Marine radio--even if just a handheld--everybody up here moniters Channel 79US. Weather Channel is 3 and its pretty accurate for the next 12 hours or so. Keep your wits about you and you'll be alright.