• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Single Pin sights

Jmnhunter

so i decided for next season that I'm going to set up my bow with a new sight and am leaning towards a single pin sight. doing a quick check on cabelas the reviews on them were pretty high. curious on what you guys look for when purchasing one?

also, the drawback i'm seeing with a single pin is the hassle of trying to adjust the sight for a deer that comes in creating more movement and such, although most of my shots will be 30yds or under, any thoughts?

I have a few slider sights mainly HHA . I converted and made a two pin HHA and love it for hunting , it is set for 20 and 32 yards, than the top pin is set for longer yardages if I have to slide it . If u have time to range find you have time to adjust the sight , that my opinion . I can't stand to many pins in my vision

Gotta give A++++ to HHA single pin awesome product. Also great service during the first week of nov this year my fiber optic broke i emailed HHA and said i didnt wanna take my bow out of operation what are my options within mins got a response the very next day i had a loaner in my mailbox to use while i sent mine into get fixed. Great pin great service

I have a few slider sights mainly HHA . I converted and made a two pin HHA and love it for hunting , it is set for 20 and 32 yards, than the top pin is set for longer yardages if I have to slide it . If u have time to range find you have time to adjust the sight , that my opinion . I can't stand to many pins in my vision

This ^^^. I have a 3 pin sight and can adjust it for long shots. No other way to go in my opinion.

Being we are on the topic of sights, is there a company out there that makes one adjustable pin and one nonadjustable besides G5 ? Thanks

Looking for something like this myself. HAD the G5 for a year, and thought the concept was great, but the site itself was far from perfect. The slider just would not stay put. There was no way to tighten it so it wouldn't move.

how has adjusting the sight on the stand for deer coming in?

Complete pain in the you know what. I tried a HHA single pin sight for a couple years because I liked it for shooting target better than my 5 pin hunting sight. I screwed up at least a couple opportunities trying to adjust the sight for a deer walking into me and guessing at what yardage he might turn broadside. This year I switched back to my 5pin sight, much better for hunting.

If you only shoot out to 20 yards every time and your bow shoots flat enough to be only and inch or two off at 10 or 30, then maybe a single pin that you don't have to hardly touch will work for you.

I couldn't dream of adjusting my pins right before a kill. I've shot deer that I hardly had time to range let alone adjust a pin. I do have a friend that shoots a single none adjustable pin and is a good shot but anything past 30 he can't compete with the rest of our consistency

Complete pain in the you know what. I tried a HHA single pin sight for a couple years because I liked it for shooting target better than my 5 pin hunting sight. I screwed up at least a couple opportunities trying to adjust the sight for a deer walking into me and guessing at what yardage he might turn broadside. This year I switched back to my 5pin sight, much better for hunting.

If you only shoot out to 20 yards every time and your bow shoots flat enough to be only and inch or two off at 10 or 30, then maybe a single pin that you don't have to hardly touch will work for you.

If you use 1 pin or 5, you are still judging the distance the Deer is from you unless you may have put out yardage markers out from your stand a head of time. That is why I do only use one pin, because I hated having the last minute argument with myself. "is he 20 or 30 yards out" cry

I'm a really big fan of my current set up. I have a MT Black Gold three pin slider. This offers the best of both worlds IMO. I've got 20, 30, and 40 yard pins and I can slide my sight to exact yardages if I so choose. I've had plenty of opportunities where there wasn't time or the opportunity to move a sight- the three fixed pins are ideal for this scenerio. I've also had plenty of opportunity to take lots of time, range a deer, and get an exact yardage before the shot. The slider is great for this. For the sake of practicing and forcing good form, I also like to target shoot at very long distances- 80-100 yards. Obviously a slider is needed for this. On calm evenings I'll practice out as far as my sight will allow me to (if you try to shoot too far you'll shoot the scope off of your sight- don't ask how I know this blush ). Doing this makes 40 yard shots seem like a chip shot. This isn't possible without a slider (practically speaking).

For shots under 30 yards from an elevated stand, I find the best for me is a single pin pendulum sight, I love it.

Now, when I went out to Montana and was hunting with longer range shots, then the pendulum sight came off and my 5 pin sight went back on.

Not sure why the pendulum sights have never taken off in popularity but I have had nothing short of great shots with it.

For shots under 30 yards from an elevated stand, I find the best for me is a single pin pendulum sight, I love it.

Now, when I went out to Montana and was hunting with longer range shots, then the pendulum sight came off and my 5 pin sight went back on.

Not sure why the pendulum sights have never taken off in popularity but I have had nothing short of great shots with it.

I agree Harvey! This is the first year in 20 years of hunting that I haven't used a pendulum sight and it was a struggle. The only reason I changed was because my Keller sight just wasn't that visible for me anymore (I guess the eyes have faded a bit in order age) and I loved how the fiber optics sights lighted up. Do they make a pendulum sight that has a fiber optic pin?

nbadger, yes numerous companies make a fiber optic pendulum sight, just do a online search and you will see them all. The Big E and A both have them for sale.

What I really like about this sight is if a deer is 12, 18 or 30 yards away, the sight makes the adjustment. I used one for about 5 years, then went to another sight and went back to the pendulum sight as my hits were so much better and I did not have to decide how far away the deer was.

HHA Optimizer with the dial sight. If you're worried about adjusting before the shot (which I would never do) the dial is a heck of a lot easier and faster than the slider.

I have them on 2 bows and can't imagine anything else. Set it at 25 and shoot a few inches high or low depending on how you range it. Personally, I would never shoot at a deer over 35 yards so it's no problem for me. I love the uncluttered shot window, and really like them for 3D. I shoot the same bows in 3D as I hunt with, so no problems.

I dissagree, it also goes with how much you practice with hold over at diffrent ranges. I constantly try diffrent unknow yardage shots just for that reason. Perfect example was my antelope in Mt,I stalked him to a cut that he should have came down at 34 yards. For some reason he either sensed sonething or just took a diffrent path. Anyways i had my sight set for 34 yards and when he steped out i was already at full draw and guessed him for 53 yards and held 3 inches over his back and let go. I can still see it in slow motion as that arrow flew and hit him in the 10 ring.

Moral of the story the equipment helps but you need to know how use it and keep challenging yourself to learn more.