• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter sled/tub insulation

Blackhawkxp

Out fishing yesterday in my new XT1200 lodge. I love the shack but the only place that cold air seems to radiate in is through the tub. I was thinking if Otter would make an insulated skirt that would Velcro around the tub on the outside it may relieve this issue? Basically in-close the sled inside the shelter. It could be removable so you could take it off or just fold it up with the canvas. Just wondering what you guys have come up with to help on the really cold days? Does carpet in the bottom of the sled help?

I figured the new Otter houses would have this skirt. I own a Canvas Craft and they come standard with exactly what you're talking about. The skirt wraps around the side of sled where you sit and fastens with a snap and Velcro. Would probably be a pretty easy mod to do yourself. I wouldn't be too gung ho about pulling out a needle and thread and going to work on a $1000 house but I'm sure any shoe repair shop could do the work. They've save a couple tackle bags for me in the past. If you have it done or do it yourself connect the skirt just behind where the seating edge of the sled is on each end and wrap it around to the middle.

Just went to Otters web page and it says the new houses come with an interior draft skirt. Is this for the front of the tub or somewhere else?

My real old purple Otter even has this, but is not what the OP is talking about. He wants the WHOLE sled inside the tent fabric.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Canvas on the outside edges of the tub is not going to help, it is sitting on ice. I think if you spray foamed the interior of your tub it would solve your problem. It will take away from the storage capacity but you'd be warmer. I'll be leaving mine as it is.

Yes the sled has the draft skirt in front of the tub. If you put your hand inside the tub you can feel the cold. It was frosting up on me yesterday. I was thinking if they would add a skirt around the outside of the tub it may keep it warmer. The current setup uses the tub as the external wall on the back and sides of the shelter and i believe if it had a draft skirt around the tub it may help? I use the big buddy with the fan and usually setup with the rear of the house into the wind. Maybe i should put the zipper side into the wind instead?

Here is what my stepson and I did when using my old Voyager a week ago in the frigids, and it worked pretty well. We put my Big Buddy (and 20#) in the tub itself and left it there. Basically behind us. I usually put it out in front. Left it on while inside the tub and it worked great! Hung jackets up above it and they dried out and were warm, and it was warm enough to keep holes open easy and I fished in just long sleeved shirt.

I carried stuff in another tub, so didn't have to worry about unloading gear, etc. But that is how I am going to do it from now on - Big Buddy right in the tub. Don't have to worry about wind blowing out pilot either when you open door. Might not work for everybody, but I just did it that way because I was lazy, and it ended up working great wink

I place a piece of marine carpet in mine, it keeps the frost off the floor of the tub and reduces noise and I use a fan to move the air like someone else said here but I havent noticed frost on the sides, maybe thats why wink

Thanks for the input. I guess i could always just put my coat on smile . I am not sure if i would have room in the tub for the heater and not start myself on fire. It is by no means a major problem for me but i could definitely tell the tub was a lot colder than the insulated house fabric. Of course i just had my bibs and a hooded sweatshirt on. I think i may build some type of light weight compartments to use for storage and they will hopefully insulate me from the cold in the tub as well.

Have any otter owners with the bench style seats ever run their buddy in the tub? I guess I'd worry about the bench melting.

I also have a Otter Cabin with bench, and have not tried it in that one yet. I usually use my regular Buddy in that one and have put it in front. I will try in tub next time I use that one and report back. It could be a little tight with the bench I guess.

I pull my house by snowmobile as I put on alot of miles and because of that I have an insert with flip top compartments for bunging stuff down and it helps with the "chill" but it adds weight.

I also set a buddy heater on the top (has indoor/outdoor carpet on the top) and I have not ever melted that with the heater. How about making a "shelf to set the heater on and keeping the back side warm....that works great for me.

Here is what my stepson and I did when using my old Voyager a week ago in the frigids, and it worked pretty well. We put my Big Buddy (and 20#) in the tub itself and left it there. Basically behind us. I usually put it out in front. Left it on while inside the tub and it worked great! Hung jackets up above it and they dried out and were warm, and it was warm enough to keep holes open easy and I fished in just long sleeved shirt.

I carried stuff in another tub, so didn't have to worry about unloading gear, etc. But that is how I am going to do it from now on - Big Buddy right in the tub. Don't have to worry about wind blowing out pilot either when you open door. Might not work for everybody, but I just did it that way because I was lazy, and it ended up working great wink

When i had my voyager, I did the same thing, except I took a piece of plywood, rested it on the edge of the tub in the back and then used two speed clamps to attach it to the bar under the seats. Mad a good shelf and got the heater out of the tub. Ran it on low and was always comfortable. I haven't tried it yet with my new otter 1200 cabin, but I might give it a shot this weekend since I worked really well before

my stepson was lazy,

That about says it all.... smile

Ain't that the truth wink Going up tomorrow after work. If you get bored with the cats, and no kiddie duty, come on up. Another buddy is leaving Sat morning at about 6:30 to come up, give that lazy guy a call if interested. Teri staying home with the pooch, so I am responsibility-free!

I put Reflectix in the bottom and sides of my Otter tub. On top of the Reflectix in the bottom I fit the interlocking foam pads(like you put under a treadmill) Since I normally fish alone I only use one seat and also put a Buddy heater behind me in the tub on low. I use a Little buddy up front. I bank around the whole house and tub. I also use the interlockig pads for under my feet. Makes a big difference keeping feet warm. I have a fan which I think is a must to keep the air moving. My Otter Pro 1200 Cabin has been very comfortable the last few days of fishing LOTW in the cold.