• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2014 Archery Season/Trips

I know it is Jan. 2, but I am already making plans for the upcoming season. I can't ever stop thinking about bow hunting.

This year I plan to hunt in Winona County, Becker County, and Wright County like I always do. I again plan to apply for the Camp Ripley hunt where I took my doe this season. I also hope to make it up to ND. I had hoped to go this season, but it just didn't work out. I have a new friend from North Dakota that has already invited me to come hunt with him. Hopefully, I can make good on his offer.

What is everyone else's plans for 2014?

Happy New Year!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Velvet whitetails first week of Sept in ND, then off to chase bugling bulls in AZ, followed by a decoy antelope hunt in eastern WY. Mid-October is slated for smallmouth fishing & grouse hunting in northern MN. Then a week off with family before consecutive November whitetail rut hunts in KS & IA. That's what I dream about doing anyways! smile

AZ bulls, isn't that hard to come by for a Non resident

To get into mid-tier units in AZ you're looking at 4-6 bonus points. Mid-upper units take NRs over 10 points to have a legit chance. To hunt their top units it'll take 15 or more points. Without a doubt you can hunt in AZ with zero or one point, but there are much better options for where to hunt than the zero point units of AZ IMO. The pics of huge AZ bulls that you see on the cover of magazines- these don't come from 0-6 point units. HooknHorns, I realize you didn't say they did, but I'm just clarifying a little bit and mixing in my opion while doing so.

I'm heading to WY for elk next year. I hope to draw an any deer tag in ND. I'll probably try get a returned MN bear tag, but that likely won't happen. MN and ND whitetails.

I'm putting in for area 40, type 9 in wyoming, if not trying Colorado or even Idaho OTC. Great thing about OTC is that if something comes up your not totally hosed. If I get drawn its most likely going to be a solo trip. The question is if the wheeler is coming with and what type of hunt it will be. Wish I could get in a wilderness area but you know the law there.

I'd like to apply for New Mexico also but a little at a time. The wife is already getting sick of hearing about it and doesn't want me to go.

Still appying for one of those hard to get AZ elk tags. Probably a couple more years before we have a real shot.

Otherwise my annual SoDak trip and close to home hunting here in the metro. Possibly another antelope hunt and possibly a rut hunt with a buddy in WS near LaCrosse. That depends on what's in freezer already by then.

Velvet whitetails first week of Sept in ND, then off to chase bugling bulls in AZ, followed by a decoy antelope hunt in eastern WY. Mid-October is slated for smallmouth fishing & grouse hunting in northern MN. Then a week off with family before consecutive November whitetail rut hunts in KS & IA. That's what I dream about doing anyways! smile

I think I've had the same dream.

2014 will be the same as always, chasing local bucks on public land hoping to catch up with something close to P&Y.

I'd like to apply for New Mexico also but a little at a time. The wife is already getting sick of hearing about it and doesn't want me to go.

Your WY option will likely be a good one! If you end up thinking OTC in CO or ID, I'd highly recommend a NM app. If you don't draw it doesn't cost you a lot. If you do draw, it'll be a whole different ball game than anything you experience in an OTC unit in CO or ID (or any other state).

Good luck!

I found out my annual week long fishing trip to Canada may not happen this year. So, I decided that I am heading west for sure this coming fall to hunt for something. I'm trying hard to decide the wheres and whats right now. I had an incredible Wyoming elk hunt this past fall and want to go back more than anything. The problem is it will be a very spendy option if I want to guarantee myself a tag.

I may try for a cheap option Wyoming elk tag and, if I fail, try for New Mexico elk. If I fail at that as well I can then consider a leftover Montana tag, or explore some OTC options in Idaho or Colorado. Or, I may go a different route and try to get my dad out to Eastern Montana for a rifle muley hunt in the same area I had a great time two years ago.

As far as MN goes I'll continue my quest for an archery tom after being made a fool of this past spring, and I'll try for my first archery deer in quite a few years.

It'll be all mn for me.

Working hard on land May - August.

NE MN bear August, Sept. - should get drawn this year.

NE MN deer first week of bow season.

Central hardwoods MN most of October then back to NE MN for rifle season.

Lastly central hardwoods right till Jan 1 st.

Will likely get plenty of fall steelheading in as well.

Gonna try ND deer again this year. Couldn't make it last year as something came up.

MN Bear in north central MN. I got drawn last year so I may be doing no quota.

MN Deer, Camp Ripley if I get drawn if not I'll hunt the couple places I have permission around here.

I'll apply for MN Elk again but may be awhile before we get drawn for that.

Well, I don't get my permanant work schedule until mid february, but my best bet would be I will chase turkey's in MN this spring, with a possibility to hunt the in Nebraska.

Fall is gonna be good no matter what. I didn't tag a single animal this fall. Next year has to be better. I saw the most deer ever this past season though.

Basic plans are for MN whitetails and fall turkey around the metro and Princeton area. Dreams are to hunt Nebraska for deer and fall turkey and hopefully Elk somewhere, most likely CO. I'm doing lots of research for an elk trip. It has to happen.

Somehow I'd also like to do a bear hunt, but that will likely happen in place of elk if that falls through.

I'll be hunting around the Twin Ports area for Whitetails but me and a buddy are contemplating an early season antelope hunt in NE before school starts. It'll be hotter than sin but it'd be fun to chase something different for a change! I'll have a few waterfowl trips scattered in the fall as well. Anyone ever go to NE for an OTC antelope hunt? I assume we'll be hunting water holes that time of the year but there's a ton of public land and we'd likely go down two weeks before to scout and try to get permission on some private land as well.

It'll be all whitetails for me! MN all season, opener and rut in WI,and gonna hunt SD too in the Hills either early with the bow of late with a rifle maybe (just to say ive shot the thing). Id love to have a contact in ND or Kansas but I don't... and I guess theres only so much time!

And I plan to be packing home a big set of elk antlers! But they will be SHEDS im expecting!

Whitetail hunting around home. Looking good for an elk hunt to Idaho too. Maybe put in for Ripley, haven't decided yet. A big thing for me is to try and get good opportunities for my wife hunting deer here, hopefully with 1 or both of our kids in the blind too!

My 2014 bow season will probably mirror my 2013 season. WI on the properties I hunt in Vernon and La Crosse counties, MN on our property in Carlton county, and a trip down to NW Missouri. We want to go further West one of these years but have to start saving for that...

September of 2014 is looking really exciting for me! I found out yesterday that I beat the long odds and drew Gila elk tag in New Mexico. I don't know exactly which tag I drew as I put in for 3 but any one of them I'd be thrilled with. I should get an email this afternoon or evening with more details. I am pumped!!!

Gila? There aren't any elk left down there! Between the floods and the fires last year it sounds like they all got chased West into AZ! If it were me, I'd probably just apply for a MN elk tag and hope to hunt more locally. eekgrinlaugh

It's been a few years since I've hunted out of state, but heading to Alaska in a month for a four day salmon/halibut charter, and a guided spot and stalk black bear hunt, with archery. Too bad the only time we could go was the week after brown bear season closed...