• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New finder help.

Deemo

Question

Anyone have any ideas on what graph I should be looking at?? Im looking at a lowrance LCX-16CI. Its color has a 6.5in diag. screen and a huge amount of pixels.(640pix wide X 480pix high=307,000total)

The other is the two Vexilar units. The edge and the CLC-200. They are bit cheaper but have half the pixels and screen size.

Also thinking of putting my vexilar FL-18 on the back of my boat by the Vantage. Do they work good on open water? And if so which transducer should I get for it. choices 19 - 12 - 9 degree. or they have a dual beam 9/19 degree one.
Any help here? I would really like to hear everyones thoughts and need to make the right choice. thanks....Deemo

12 answers to this question

Thanks for those replys guys. Last year there was no way I could have afforded a LCX-16 or the 15 but since the new ones came out the prices have dropped a huge amount. Retail stores that still have last years models are knocking hundreds off the price to get rid of em.
Any ideas on what transducer? should i go with the dual beam?

Deemo
Not real familiar with this years models, but I have seen the Lowrance X-15 in action. It’s a real gem. At least take a look at it before you make any final decisions. On to the vex. I use mine religiously all year, but if your looking for a hard bottom. The Clearwater shows a more defined echo for rocks ect. Definitely throw the vex. On the boat, but the type of ducer. Depends on your fishing style. What will you be fishing for and ware, the applications are endless. You really need to Taylor the ducer to your style. I just fish over the side of the boat with my ice ducer. Have it out there where the end of my rod is to get the best reading. This may sound weird but I know I’m one of the best open water jiggers out there. But it’s not because I’m good it’s because I have it set up for my style of fishing. Hope this helps, got a little long winded.
C&R~~~~>’)))))><

Last year I purchased the LCX 15 MT No color but with the GPS.
The gps with the lake maps is incredible! It is the most user friendly model on the market, and it also has thw waas. Yes it does read fish but I still trust and use my vexillar for the true fish readings. But the 15 is one of the best investments I have made. I personally thought when I purchased mine the color was overkill for the price!

When comparing the X-15 and the X-16 (which is extremely cheap now because they switched it to the X-19) one thing to consider is the amount of sunlight you are going to be fishing in. The X-15 can be read easily in direct sunlight. The X-16 needs a little shade or cloud cover. I believe they solved this problem with the X-16 when they switched it over to the X-19.

------------------
Adam Adler [email protected]
Minnesota, the land of 10,000 fishing trips....

Ok these are last years models and once they are all sold thats it. The pixel count and everything is the same. The new models have hyperscroll and fish reveal. I dont think its worth the price tho. Heres the best prices Ive found. The price on the LC-15MT is the same as last year.

LCX-15CI(color)- pixels 320 X 240-- $699

LCX-16CI(color)- pixels 640 X 480-- $899

Some 15's are still selling at the same price Ive seen some places still want $1100 for it. You can save by looking. If I remember the 16 was about 1600bucks last year. thats $700 off last years price.

The 16CI and 19C have the same screen pretty much. Their web site said this.

color illuminated full VGA 256-color TFT
640X480pixels

Its the same on both units. I take your word on the direct sun thing Ive only seen them in displays. Did look at the 15 and 16 side by side and the 16 was the winner hands down. The screen was way better and
1-in larger.
Anyone have any idea what transducer i should get for the vexilar. Thats going on the back of the boat. Thanks all. smile.gif

The X-15 sells for $1100 with the GPS package. I may stand corrected about changes between the X-16 and X-19. I thought they made the screen slightly larger and changed the display a little. This is what I pulled off their HSOforum:

X-16

Large 6.38" (16.37 cm) diagonal Color Illuminated full VGA TFT LCD.
Vivid color, super-sharp viewing in direct sunlight.
Adjustable 256-color palette.
Superior 640x480 (w x h) resolution - 307,200 pixels total.

X-19

Huge 7" (17.8 cm) diagonal 256-color, full VGA liquid crystal TFT display
Programmable color palette
Incredible 640x480 (w x h) resolution - 307,200 pixels total

What is the difference between:

diagonal Color Illuminated full VGA TFT LCD
full VGA liquid crystal TFT display

The way its worded?

A while back I could have picked up a used X-16 for close to the price of the X-15. The reason I didn't was because of reading and hearing about people having a hard time seeing the X-16 in direct sunlight. The 2002 Cabelas catalog actually mentioned something about good viewing on the X-16 in shaded conditions and X-15 viewing in direct sunlight so I figured what I heard was correct. I haven't looked at the X-16 in action.

I would go with the 19 degree transducer for the vexilar. I'm not sure if they make a dual beam transducer for the boat. One thing to consider when choosing a transducer for the boat is that the boat will be moving around more than a hole in the ice. Even with the 19 degree transducer it can be hard to pick up your bait on the screen consistantly. The bigger cone will allow you to search more area. It will also allow other small advantages like locating downrigger balls. (a little trick Scott Steil pointed out to me)

Thanks flyingfish that sounds about right. Also vex does have a dual beam transducer on their HSOforum. Even comes with a switch to go from 9degrees to 19 degree. I have know idea who carrys their marine stuff so will try to order direct from the company. Thanks again guys. grin.gif

Deemo. One thing to remember about color v.s monochrome. Nothing shows better detail than monochrome.And like mentioned above, the monochrome is much better to see in direct sunlight. The color units can be easier to read because of the signal strength relates to the target(bottom and fish). Watts and output power can be very over-rated. Most units that put out the high watts are meant for saltwater fishing because the water is much more dense. Thus the need to penetrate and still return quality targets. The unit must also have a very high quality reciever which is your most important component. I would highly suggest looking at the Vexilar Edge. Its a dual transducer unit built for inland shallow water applications under 200 feet. It easily shows fish targets and seperates them from bottom like no other unit. The dual ducer idea is to combine a narrow cone with a wide cone to cover every applicaton you need. Example: I fish the edges of the gravel and mud on Mille Lacs. By scanning with both the wide and narrow cone I can see more of the edge with the wide cone and yet see fish better with the narrow cone because the "dead zone" is much smaller. I'm not confined to just being able to mark fish with a 200khz unit as I move up on the edge. With the Vexilar Edge I can now see fish when I'm moving up and down the edge of the flat. Generally the wider cone will show better fish targets because they have more time to register because they are in the cone longer. But if you can't see them with a large "dead zone" then your missing them anyway. If I see fish targets with a 400khz ducer, I can be 99% sure its fish. If I mark multiple targets, I can bet I'm on the mother lode. You will also find the Edge to be much more user friendly than most units.

Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Yep I checked a few online catalogs and saw one that said the old 16-ci was no good in direct sunlight...thats out then. Even tho it seems to rain every time my boat leaves the garage.

I will head out and look at the vex Edge tomarrow. I've been hearing too many good things about it not to do some real checking. Its going to be down to that or the LCX-15MT. Tough decisions.. Maybe if the wife let me buy another boat I could try both........ya right.