• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

honda generator issues

geo17

Question

On my last trip my generator cut out on eco mode twice. I turned off the eco mode and it ran on full power for about 5 hours and cut out again. Started it again on full power and ran the rest of the trip on full power. Is this something I can fix on my own? I read the carb may be gunked up and to try seafoam. Any ideas would be appreciated. It's a 2000.

12 answers to this question

Check your oil level and air filter. The snow was blowing on my Honda this weekend and got to the air filter. The generator went into safe mode because the gas was filling up the crank case. The oil was way overfull and diluted by gas. Once I dried the air filter and changed oil it ran right again.

I had to run my choke partially on also, must be the extreme cold weather, it was -30 on red lake. The last morning I couldn't get it to run because the oil light kept coming on. I just checked the oil and it looks at the correct level. If the oil is too full, will the light come on also?

When I was having the low oil issue it was -30 but I kept the generator in the house, so it was warm when it first started and I was using 5w-30. I need to try it again now in a little warmer environment and see if it works.

I have had the gas line freeze up one time when I used non ethanol gas just like the old days but now I didn't have any deicer with. It would run for a little while and quit I'd have bring it in the house warm it up same thing all over again. I just use regular ethanol gas now no problem.