• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Ice Augers

Icemandu

Question

Anybody using these? My brother bought one a year ago, and he hooked his up directly to his four-wheeler battery. Then he just drives around and drills holes. Sometimes he doesn't even get off the wheeler to fish! They also state that lawn garden tractors and smaller batteries should run these. Somebody posted that the flasher batteries should work for emergency use. Anybody else have any insights on these? Likes..dislikes? Are they very slow in 20 + inches of ice?

2 answers to this question

I have one they are nice for in a fish house because there are no fumes but they only make up to a 8" hole size and I like 10". The draw back is that they are very slow. If you want a good fast auger stick with a gas model. This is my experience with them there are some new models of these but I have one that has the old Mora type auger on it. I don't know my the Jiffy electric models are faster.

I have a jiffy electric. It is great, but you NEED a large deep cycle battery to run it. I carry one on the back of my widetrack. It cuts very well, and you can drill up to 20 holes of thick ice with it. Forget about using a sled/wheeler battery. Even with the machine running it won't cut it. I have my holes drilled before most guys get their gas augers running decent. Starts everytime.