• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Regarding Strikemaster Carbs and Freeze Up

united jigsticker

Question

A few testiments have caught my ear stating that Strikemaster augers have had problems in respect the the carb freezing up.

I own a Lazer Mag, and have not experienced this, but naturally the phrase "what I don't know can't hurt me" comes to mind and I am now slightly paranoid.

Anyone here experienced or heard of any accounts of the similiar in regards to these augers?

thanks

9 answers to this question

it would be my thoughts that if a carb is freezing up, then there would have to be a moisture problem somewhere. i notice the air intake in the new eskimo 3 h.p. just has a little scoop. no sponge filter or any thing like that. i really don't care for that idea. what i have noticed is the cold bloodedness of the darned thing. i'm looking to do some adjusting on mine.good luck.

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jiglestick!!....jigglestick....

I haven't had any problems with my Strikemaster. I've had it out on -10 below days without any freeze ups. Might take an extra pull or two before it starts but after that it runs like normal. I've found out that old gas will put a damper on the auger working. Maybe thats whats happening?

Good Fishin, Matt.

MJ5 and Fishing Minnesota...
http://frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/mj5.html

i brought my auger out for some test drills tonight. i turned the high speed out 1 full turn, and the low speed 3/4 out. it started right away, and i tried to un choke it and found i could right away. then after a half a minute or so i hit the throttle, and it wouldn't rev very high. so i started turning the high speed in an eigth at a time between trys. finally at 1/2 a turn farther than it orriginally was, i got her to rip and dig like a 3 horse should. i was able to turn the low speed in a half turn with out any ill effects. i only primed it the first time i started it. be fore when it would die, i had to pump the bulb each time. i think i'm headed in the right direction. smile.gif

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jiglestick!!....jigglestick....

My Strikemaster Lazer XL-3000 uses the same Tecumseh motor as Jiffy and Eskimo, so any problem about carb freeze-up would be shared among auger brands.

Mine runs great cold or warm.

However, if you take it from a warm room to a cold outdoors, condensation will form on the metal parts as it cools. This is water, and can freeze. Couple times this year in really cold weather, the throttle lever as stuck. So when I start it and warm it up, then try to give it throttle, it keeps idling. If I advance the throttle with my finger, it stays where I put it instead of springing back and forth. When that happens, I just warm it up and use it a bit and the water burns off.

Great ideas, suggestions, and input guys, thanks.

As I said, I personally haven't experienced this problem (knocking on wood right now)

A spare plug is always a great idea to have along, but won't do any justice if I forget the wrench at home. Just a reminder to myself. smile.gif

Hey Jigsticker
I also have a Strike master laser. It’s a great unit. Maybe a little cold blooded when it’s into the below 0 temps, but what’s one or two more pulls. Change the Gas and spark plug. Those plugs can foul out a lot faster than you think if you get some bad gas. Buy some from a different station and spend the extra few cents to upgrade the octane content. It’s only 1-2 gallons anyway. The higher octane may help it flow easier/less freeze ups, and stalls witch will give you more fishing time.
C&R~~~~>’)))))><

I used my Strike Master Lazer on Monday. It was -23 temp and the windshield out side was -43. My auger is stored in the back of my guide truck that is parked outside all the time. My auger started just like always on the 4th pull. I drilled about 50 holes with it on Monday with no problems.

Something I have always done with my auger gas is to add just a few drops of Isopropyl to my gas when I mix it. Not sure it is needed or not but something I have always done.

I was having problems with my Mag III the other day, but I think I ruled it out as a issue of flooding, not carb problems, because it worked fine on Phalen on Sat and it was COLDER than the Friday I took it out. I also put more/new gas in it-- and I think that may have helepd. But it took me 30 mins on Friday to drill ONE hole, as it cut out in the middle of drilling, and took a lot of playing with to get it to start again. it sounded much better on Sat. and I didn't have further problems.