• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seats for Otter-Style Houses?

Bushwacker

Question

Does anybody have any inventions that they would like to share for seats in Otter-style houses? I have used 5-gallon buckets, but after a full day of fishing the buckets take their toll. I see that Otter makes a seat that has a board which lays across the sled and a boat seat on it. It seems like a good idea to me, but it is a little pricey. Let me know what works for you. Thanks.

While I was killing time in Gander last week I though about this too. I have the Otter Cabin and I used the floor model and grabbed some of those quad chairs that fold up real nice and opened them up and found that certain brands (dont remember) fit in the grooves on the Otter Sled. Not a bad deal, comfortable and they fold up small. The problem I see with the big bench seat is that they take up too much room in my sled. I though about it and when I put the extension on my auger the blade rests higher up in the fron of the sled, and this is sure to cause a space problem when folding it up or when you have 2 or 3 - 5 gal buckets and a 20lb propane tank. The main problem is the height factor, especially when placing the travel cover on. I dont know what kind of plans this other guy has but if he solved the problem I found maybe thats the way to go.

youngbleed

I just completed a pair of seats for my friend WallEYES. He has the largest Otter tub. The way they fit is that they slide over the lip on each side of the tub and go no lower than 3" down from the top edge. The chairs built on top of the "bridges" fold down almost flat to a height of just three inches above the top of the tub edges. And that includes the seat base. That way, most covers will still fit with the seats installed and all the gear inside......I don't usually built them all of the time but sometimes still do for friends. I sent a set of plans to Gadgetman the other day. Maybe he'll see this and remark on the recent changes I made to the plans. The seat bottom part is now an inch longer for more bottom space and seems to be the answer. They are of all wood construction and do not weigh nearly as much as the metal ones you can buy...........T

TBone.
The new mod. you made to the Butt Bridge sounds like the ticket. How do I get my hands on some plans. I will search around on the site for them.
I bought the jigger(portable) from the ice fishing show. The same one you have. How do you load it in the back of your truck without busting a nut? I love it but a little heavy for a guy like me with a bad back. Any suggestions?

peace,
sj

SJ.......Whassup? I built a rack that slides into my hitch receiver. I just carry the Jigger on the rack outside of my sawed off Suburban (Tahoe Sport). No nut busting for me. Then, when I get home, I slide the whole rack with the Jigger and auger on it onto a little trolley I built and roll the whole works into the garage........leave your e-mail and I'll get back to you on the plans for the seats.......T

TBone..

Now were talking. Thanks for the ideas. It souunds like your ideas are the way to go. I got in a car accident in Canada 3 years ago and went through the windshield and my back hasn't been the same since. Anything to make loading and uloading portables easier is a bonus.

You been behaving?
What is walleye up to?
You been fishing?

peace,
sj

TBone..
A quick question. The Rock&Reel I bought from you at the ice fishing show is for a person that reels right handed. Another words the peg is on the right hand side if it. I took the peg out and re mounted it on the left side but, the peg doesn't fit in the milled slot. It sticks out to the left side 3". Any suggestions?

peace,
sj

SJ......All you would need to do if you reel from the left side is turn the unit around so the peg is on the other side. No need to modify it.....I was out of town for a day or so. I'll e-mail you guys to get your mailing addresses.......

TBone, got your plans, thanks for the quick reply. I have been out of town and havent had a chance to start building yet, but I will say that you draw one detailed plan. I will appreciate that once the sawdust starts flying grin.gif. It doesnt appear that it will impede the covering of the sled. One of my friends with an otter has already made off with my plans and will have a bridge made in the next few days