• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Our August 2013 trip photos!

This past August, I had the pleasure of taking my fiance to see Alaska for the first time (excluding a 4 day winter trip to visit the parents where we hardly left the house).

We had so much fun I thought it'd be fun to share with the HSO fellas and gals.

Our goals were to cram as much "Alaska" experience into a week and a half. We flew into Anchorage and right back out to Kodiak the following day. I'll caption the photos with a tidbit about what we were doing laugh

Beth's first salmon, the pinks were running all over. Her biggest fish before that was a 2lb LMB. Her 2nd biggest fish before that was a bluegill.

tyor.jpg

We had fun chasing pinks that evening and didn't take enough pictures. The next morning we went out for a halibut/lingcod/rockfish trip. On the way out to the spots, we saw humpback whales feeding. I've seen whales, but the feeding behavior was crazy. They would chase the bait ball, turn on their side, and open wide!

8e56.jpg

g8t1.jpg

Beth's first halibut, and a new PB biggest fish!

onqj.jpg

This albatross was a special treat, he displayed his trifold wings nicely (but we didn't catch him folding them on camera).

6axr.jpg

This sea lion stalked us as we were dropping the boat's load of fish off. We dubbed him "crazy eyes".

uqp5.jpg

5ah0.jpg

We got a tip on silvers starting to run, and had some success! I caught two, my dad caught two, and Beth caught one. Hers was the biggest tipping our scale at a quarter over 15lbs, mine was a quarter under. My mom skunked out on silvers but kept connecting with feisty pinks. Here's us displaying the results!

i64x.jpg

Just a fly fishing pic. I'd never caught salmon on a fly before this trip. I gotta say, I'm "hooked".

qanh.JPG

A pretty place to walk around in the woods, beautiful moss EVERYWHERE.

9clb.jpg

It's hard to pick a wildlife highlight of the trip, but it's hard to beat a bear cub in a tree, its sibling on the ground, and momma fishing away to feed all three of them. I apologize for the poor focus, but I promise the brown blob is a bear cub and not a squatch!

tzj.JPG

ppt8.jpg

908n.jpg

y8wy.jpg

Those two specs on top of the rock are us after a fun climb at Beluga Point (I'm not sure if the "point" is where we were, or where my parents were taking pictures from)

dzw5.jpg

Speaking of belugas..

vn1i.jpg

nu49.jpg

We actually saw belugas on three separate occasions, just unreal. They came in with every tide, chasing salmon I assume. I've never had that kind of luck watching for them in years past.

A beautiful day in the clouds climbing Flattop, Anchorage's most popular spot to hike supposedly.

epup.jpg

Black bear

iue0.jpg

A fun sign

z5d9.jpg

Can't wait to get back there!