• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which hand auger to buy?

Question

well, it's time to replace the mora auger, and was curious what to replace it with.

i figured it was a no brainer go with the lazer, but i just talked to a guy that said he used one this weekend that was even better than the lazer. but don't know who makes it.

i guess you use both arms to turn the auger, it doesn't have the knob on top for down pressure, i guess it just pulls itself into the ice,

i see jiffy makes one that looks like that and i also found one that was an eskimo.

so what do you guys suggest?

3 answers to this question

The two handled auger you refered to is made by Nil Master. Cabelas carries them under some other name, something High Velocity, I can't remember the full name.

They are the real deal, however. They are the best hand auger I have ever seen.

I'm still trying to get used to the two handed method, but I give it high marks on my limited use with it so far. Quality workmanship, a little heavier than Strikemaster hand augers, my 8" Nils weighs close to ten pounds. But it is worth the extra weight and money for its' ice penetration capability. I would think you could find one on sale at this time of year at Cabelas.

i am still using the lazer through 2ft+ ice and cutting alot of holes. very lightwieght and i haven't had one thing wrong with it yet. it cuts very fast (i have the 6")
i have noticed some extra muscle in the auger arm also smile.gif