• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's doing the muzzy season?

Getting pretty excited, weather looks favorable (no howling winds). Looking forward to another opening day and a fresh tag, since I let the few I saw in rifle season walk and that tag soup was pretty thin. Chime in if you will be hunting, good luck to all.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, i probably wont make it this season. considering i wont be free til sunday 12/8.

however, i was lucky enuff to tag decent buk with my ML during the gun season.

plz show pic as i will have to live vicariously through you gang

good luck everyone, have a safe n fun ML season

sidenote,

im not sure if i wanna go bak to a reg gun anymore. i love using my ML. thinking about gettin a kit and building a ML for next season.

I'll be out with the goal of filling two doe tags and plan to hunt each weekend...Just wish i had some vacation to burn. This post was a good reminder as i just looked through the mass of blue tags in my wallet and there is no Muzzy license - better pick one up today.

PHil,

I haven't used my shotgun the last two-three years. Muzzy is much more fun. I say get a kit and build yourself a custom rifle. It'll be very rewarding. We can take a day or a weekend and head to the farm to shoot, maybe even hunt some pheasants or something depending on time of year.

ps If your interested in either the 11th or 25th at appledorns the bunks are filling up real quick.

just another way to extend the hunting season. I usually go with my nephew and we do some different things than we do in the rifle season. We do sit some but we tinker around with some more pro-active hunting like little "drives" or one guy paralleling the other on quiet walks. It's private land so we don't disturb anyone.

When there is snow it's even more fun to see tracks and beds and to realize you were outfoxed by the deer. It's pretty fun even if our odds of scoring aren't that high.

I was planning on hunting a bit during the muzzy season, but I shot a deer during the rifle hunt. I have more than enough meat in the freezer so I'll leave the woods to those who maybe weren't so lucky the last couple weeks.

Good luck to those headed out!

My nephew and I are heading up to Isabella this weekend. Really looking forward to it, in fact I enjoy ML more than rifle season. I'm hoping to redeem myself this weekend after missing a somewhat easy shot during rifle season (because I'm an silly-me!!). So far weather is looking good and we have have snow up there.

I'm in! Do it every year. My son and I sat on his buck tag with the full intent of using his "buck" during the muzzy season, of course unless a nice buck walked by him during the rifle season...which it did not. frown

I also have a bonus doe tag I can use during the muzzy season. I filled my buck tag, and he filled his doe tag during rifle season, so we're not hurting for venison. I couldn't really care less if I fill my doe tag, but I do really hope to get him next to a nice buck! Now I just gotta figure out how to keep him warm! NW Minnesota can be absolutely brutal thru the muzzy season, but it sure gets the deer bunched up and moving in predictable patterns.

I love the muzzle-loader season!

I was going to go but I shot a nice fat doe with my bow in a lottery zone so I assume I am done hunting in Mn for the year correct?

Or you can do what I did in 1971 when they closed the deer season. I sat in my stand with a camera and a telephoto lens. Got my deer on film that year, along with some other miscellaneous wildlife and birds.

Sounds good. Be sure to sit tight. I'm sure the crew will want to drive our chunk.

Maybe see ya then frosty, I'm taking a couple guys out that didn't even see a deer hunting all 9 days of rifle near Ottertail, told the boys there's no deer west of hwy 78 no wonder lol.

My wife and I are going and we are very excited! We don't slug hunt at all so this is the first time chasing deer this year. We take a week off for muzzleloading every year. Will be hunting Sunday to Saturday next week. Weather looks ok with some snow. We hunt SW mn and accuweather has next Fridays forecast with winds gusting to 67 mph. Maybe stay out of the tree that day;)

I was going to go but I shot a nice fat doe with my bow in a lottery zone so I assume I am done hunting in Mn for the year correct?

Tom,

You're done for 1 deer limit areas but Managed and IH are fine. You can tag a buck or a doe still.

I thought any deer in a lotto burns your primary tag which is the only buck tag you get??
Burns it for whatever you bought it for...

example I hunted a hunters choice with my bow... hit a doe

for rifle i was in a managed and shot a buck

went back to 601 (no limit antlerless) and shot another doe

yea you burned your main tag for archery but it was still registered as a doe not a buck....

it would be like if you only bought one for archery one for rifle no bonus tags

and you shot a doe with your rifle main tag that doesnt mean you cant shoot a buck with your archrey tag