• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pump not priming

Johnny B

Question

I've run my new 1775 Pro V Lund for a couple of seasons now and on occasion have had a problem in getting my live well pumps to prime themselves and pump water for filling when you first get her on the water. I've checked the obvious (clogged intake) and backing up slightly at times helps some but there are times when I have to go through a combination of covering outlet to help create vacumm, switch between fill and recirc. and/or just time grumbling about the pump not functioning properly. I contacted dealer that I bought it from and sounds like they have heard of this on occasion and said that it would be no problem fixing it.

Question is does anyone have experience related to this issue? I've tried about everything that I can think of without ripping floor apart on the boat. Is there anything else that I possibly could do to remedy the situation without making the trip to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

WW

6 answers to this question

I've run my new 1775 Pro V Lund for a couple of seasons now and on occasion have had a problem in getting my live well pumps to prime themselves and pump water for filling when you first get her on the water. I've checked the obvious (clogged intake) and backing up slightly at times helps some but there are times when I have to go through a combination of covering outlet to help create vacumm, switch between fill and recirc. and/or just time grumbling about the pump not functioning properly. I contacted dealer that I bought it from and sounds like they have heard of this on occasion and said that it would be no problem fixing it.

Question is does anyone have experience related to this issue? I've tried about everything that I can think of without ripping floor apart on the boat. Is there anything else that I possibly could do to remedy the situation without making the trip to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

WW

Wavewacker,

You won't quite have to tear your floor apart to get at the live well pumps. If I remember right, the access panel to the livewell pumps on your boat is toward the back of the boat, just in front of the rear storage comparments. If it's not there than it's toward the front of the boat, just before the step up to the bow deck. There should be a section of the floor that's about 8" long, and as wide as the center strip of carpet / flooring. Unscrew the 4 deck screws and you've got easy access to the pumps. As Johnny B said, these pumps wear out, and the problem you're having is not a uncommon one.

Good Luck!

marine_man

[This message has been edited by marine_man (edited 02-11-2003).]

Here's another thought...

Contact Flow-rite (they have a HSOforum) and tell them about your problem.

In some cases the Lund model you have was fitted with a Flow-rite valve that had too many flappers in it. I believe that they used a three flapper valve when a two flapper was called for. If this is the problem Flow-rite may send you a new valve, or at least they will tell you how to remove the non needed flapper. Lund has not identified this as a problem as of yet.

I have seen this fix at least two 1775's this past season. The main problem was the front livewell not filling.

k

That's it!! That's the problem my dealer said that they where running into. I didn't quite understand it at the time. Thanks Koocher

Anyone out there fix this sort of thing on there own? I will have to do some checking on this.

If you look at their HSOforum under documents, you will find all of the pdf files that describe everything about the valves including how to work on them. Its a pretty easy assembly to deal with. Or just send them some mail and they will tell you how to cure the problem.

k

Here is some information that I received from the Flow Rite company. After reading this and doing some research on the web site I am very confident that this is my problem. I'm going to be checking it out this weekend. Thanks for the information!!

Response from Flow Rite:
I believe you mean valve when you refer to the pump. Yes, you may have an
additional check flapper that may be contributing to the problem. An
airlock can occur due to several factors, but is basically something that is
preventing water from entering and flooding the pump impeller area. This
can be caused by a dip in the outlet hose that runs from the pump to the
spray head that traps water. In addition to this, you may have a check
flapper in the "Fill" position that is kept closed by the water level in the
livewell recirculation line and trapping air behind the valve instead of
letting water in.

To fix this problem, remove the valve cap with the 4 corner screws and
carefully pull this assembly out of the valve housing. You shouldn't have
to remove any hoses, nor disconnect the cable. If you find three flappers,
2 will be reinforced with a plastic button and spring. The third will just
be a rubber flapper. Just cut off the non-reinforced flapper and replace
the cap making sure that you have the large O-ring in place.

Water will now be allowed to enter and flood the pump impeller area unless
you have another area causing a problem. I'm confident that this will solve
your problem, but let me know if you have any other concerns.