Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matchman

Caring for Otter canvas - offseason storage

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any suggestions for care and storage of the Otter canvas? In particular, do you take it off of the frame? Does that create problems with the plastic "rivets" that hold the skin on? Is there a good way to cover the whole sled/skin so that bugs and rodents stay out?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Matchman

We stored ours in my buddies pole barn one summer and had some major patching to do the next fall. Now I take everything off, give it a good scrub down, let it dry and store it inside. The cover idea may work, but aren't those covers canvas as well? If you do run into some rodent holes, canvas craft in Anoka has some great glue-patches that have held for two winters now with no problems.

When I am done for the season, I set it up inside my garage, and fire up the propane heater inside of the hut.

Let it get nice and toasty inside, and leave it up until the canvas is FULLY dry. I then take the canvas off the frame, and store it inside a rubbermaid container. The tub gets gets a good hosing out after the canvas is off, and I just store it outside under my snomobile trailer.

Gissert,
Have you had any problems with the rivets not holding after a while? I would think that when you continually take this apart and put back together, the holes might not hold the rivets anymore.
Thanks for your help.
aka. Turtle

I make sure it is clean and dry. I leave it attached to the house and put it on the top shelf in my garage (about 6 feet high) with my augers, lp tanks, lanterns, etc. in it and cover everthing with an old bed sheet.

I have 2 Clam portables, with one being 12 years old. I set them up in the garage and let them dry out on a nice day. I take the covers off and roll them up. Put them in a heavy plastic bag and store them on a shelf in the garage. Never had a single problem doing thigs this way.

I used to store my suitcase house in the shed out side until I went fishing one day and had a moon roof thanks to a mouse. The house wasn't even fixable so I bought a fish trap. The problem I have with these are they have to be screwed on. Not like the Otter's that have the elasic band around the sled. I have been taking out the screws to get the house off and string it inside. I think a few screw holes is far better than a new moon roof. Most guys I know are packing their clams full of moth balls before hey store them outside.

I've been using (Irish Spring) soap for years. Make yourself a breathable container or two. Use a cheese grator or shave some of the soap into the containers and place it in the sled and fold it down.
I read this in a classic car magazine.
I also put some in cans that are placed by my garage doors and also in the boat.
Good Luck...

I lay fabric softener sheets in between a few of the fold of fabric after I've allowed the house to bake in the sun on a nice warm dry sunny day......

Ya Hey Der -

Rivits? I have an older Otter that I bought from WallEYES and the canvas attaches with velcro.

I am not sure what/where the rivits are on the newer Otters.

I like the mouseproof quality of a good rubbermaid container for the canvas. I have a real chipmunk problem where I live, and they will get into just about everything else.

Ya Hey Der Gissert,
I bought a new Otter this year and I believe they replaced the velcro with plastic rivets. Not sure when they did this but I think the newer models come this way. To attach the skin to the sled, you need to drill through the skin and sled and push a plastic rivet through both to secure it it place. You have to put around 4 or so on the short sides and around 6 or so on the long sides. I would think the plastic would be sturdy enough that when/if you decide to take the plastic rivets out, that it wouldn't be a problem pushing them back in and holding. Not sure though. Does anyone know?

Also, does Irish Spring, fabric softener and moth balls keep rodents away or do you guys do this just so it doesn't smell like fish and minnow guts the next winter?
aka. Turtle

I have a new one from canvas craft black with elastic rope on bottom. I seen the rivit style a buddy of mine has one and I also wondered if you can take them of and reuse them. Seems like a bad desighn to me and a tear spot. I am planning on the plastic tub for storage in the rafter of the garage or basement.

GISSERT
YA HEY DER Has the otter made from maple lake (green or purple skin) and our otter skin is from canvas craft in Anoka (black skin)...totally different design and probably a better one at that too, because of the velcro straps for easy take off for storage, and easy to put back on.