• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum LX-3 vs Vexilar Fl-18 - Pro Staff Views

Rick

Question

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

We are starting a thread where FishingMinnesota.com Pro Staff will share their views and answer questions on these 2 units.

The 3 FM Pro Staff will be Derek Johnston, Scott Steil, & myself. We will be the only ones sharing info and answering questions in this thread.

We've had numrous requests to take on this task because many felt that they were getting less than expert answers from other members in the other threads on this subject and were tired of wading through all of it.

Please ask questions with respect to the MarCum LX-3 and Vexilar FL-18 and we three will do our best to answer those questions for you.

Fire away.

The EDGE is very cool, you will love it.

I plan to add the new color graph this spring. I will match it up with the FL-18 on a side by side custom double wide RAM ball mount. That way I can quick detach it and move it front or rear in a snap if need be.

The superior bottom separation on the EDGE is like the zoom on the FL-18 V's the FL-8, no place to hide. Very cool!

As far as changes to the MarCum LX-3 for next year, I would doubt you will see any major changes other then some transducer options possibly. It is a well built, well packaged unit so I don't think you will see any changes to the actual unit itself.

I am in the process of rigging my new boat for the tournament season that is just around the corner. I will be running the LX-3 on the Dash this year with the High Speed transducer. I would love to be running a unit on the trolling motor with a puck transducer also but the pocket book won't allow it this year.

Both the High Speed and Puck style transducers will be available in the next couple weeks and will be sold in kits with everything needed to mount the unit, including the gimbal bracket.

Yes Big, the Edge shows a much better fool proof transition. You can have three pre-set modes at the touch of a button. Say you want one mode for the mud and one mode for the gravel. All your settings are preprogramed for your needs. Then you just push the mode button for the application your fishing.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Scott,

You said you ran the 18 on the bow - did you have a universal transducer on your bow mount? If not, how did you connect it to the motor?

I am looking for a unit for both ice fishing and open water. Sounds like the 18 is a nice transferable unit. I really don't know much anout them, so what would you suggest I need to look for in the ducers for the two fishing conditions - degrees/diameters/ etc..?

Thanks!

------------------
Clueless - -

Derek, I would like to hear your take on the Edge once you have been able to work with it a little. It sounds like a nice unit. I really want to know how the double echo works, it sounds good in theory. If it works as well as the pictures I have seen it will be very usefull for the transition areas. I am sick of trying to guess at the transition areas now with grayline.