• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

eskimo barracuda

jigglestick

Question

i recently started using a new auger. the problem is it is the cold bloodest thing i ever had. any body had similar problems? do they just adjust them to tight from the factory? i was going to check for restriction in the gas line, then in the carb itself. maybe just a little adjusting on the high speed jet? thanks, jigglestick.

6 answers to this question

It depends if its hard starting, dies while drilling or both.
I'm sure these carbs are set in warm conditions. When its cold out it takes more gas to start and run. Probably because gas dosent atomize as well in very cold weather.
Hard starting then your low speed needs to come out. Dies while drilling then the High speed comes out.
We can mess around with it this weekend when we both have 2 free hands. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 02-10-2003).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

If you have a tendency to put too much oil in the gas mixture, that will also cause stalling problems or cold blooded starting as well.

My Jiffy was the same way new too, but the more years I use it the better it runs. My guess is that many of the new augers show signs of the carberator diaphrams being dryed out / hard. I'd guess many of the components are assembled quite some time before being attached to the auger, plus shelf time b4 the auger is actually sold, gives the diaphrams plenty of time to dry out. Plus they were never probably wet before.

I was never able to test my theory on my auger, but a friend recently bought a Jiffy, and it too was hard starting, didn't idle well, etc. We put some Stabil and a small amount of Sea Foam in the gas right away, and it seemed to help. Before, the engine wouldn't respond to changing the idle screws, but soon afterwards, it would. He's on his second year, and it seems to be running good.

Certainly not proof, but something to consider.

Good Luck

Mort

i'm using the same mix as my old auger(r.i.p.). it seems to start o.k., but i have to prime the hell out of it. it dies while cutting a hole. i am pretty sure the high speed needs to come out, but not sure about the low speed. i know that if it starts to stall, simply throwing the choke on doesn't do it. i have to hit the primer to keep it running. this weekend would be a great time to mess with it. i will post results for sure. thanks, jigglestick.