• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for Ontario resort advice

Looking for advice on a lodge to ice fish in Ontario. I live in Minnesota, so going through Thunder Bay, International Falls or Baudette doesn't matter. I'll state my absolute wish list, knowing it all can't be met. It would be best if you had actual experience at the lodge, not just word of mouth. Too many times these places just don't live up to what you've heard (in my experience).

- Fished LOW last year out of Morson. Loved the fact that we fished for 4 days and never saw another person. Not looking to fish in a shanty town. Part of the experience is the seclusion.

- We all have snowmobiles and portables, which is also part of the experience. Loved that we could snowmobile right from the cabin, were portable, fished different areas for 4 days for walleye, crappie and trout. No need to rent permanents.

- Didn't like that we had to go 25 miles for trout. The trip was a blast, but even with a GPS I dont' have confidence we could ever get back to those spots safely.

- Would like this trip to become an annual event, so the fishing has to be good.

- We didn't catch a lot of walleyes. We caught 3 nice lake trout the day we got a guide. A blast, but not sure I want to devote an entire day for only 3 trout.

- Walleyes are the main catch. Trout would be good. Nice-sized crappies would be a bonus. Would like numbers of walleyes just for catch-n-release...and dinner.

- Cabin or lodge doesn't matter I guess. Cabin would be better. Ideally ones that have propane/electric heat. Not really looking forward to coming back to a cold cabin after an entire day of fishing because of a wood burning stove. But, I'd sacrifice this for good fishing.

- Ideally (very ideally) it would be a place that also offers good summer walleye fishing. I'd like to go back every year in the summer with my family. So, a resort that would be good for a family with pre-teen kids (girls) would be awesome. There could be days where a kid or my wife isn't interested in fishing, so an atmosphere where they could put up a chair and read a good book would be nice. I'm contrasting that to some places that are much more rugged and strictly geared to fishing.

- Morson was a nice area because it's not too far across the border. Would consider going as far north as Sioux Narrows area, but that's pushing it at about 8 hours from home.

- The same goes for going through Thunder Bay. I have considered (and summer fished) the Armstrong area around Nipigon. That's 12 hours from home, although my parents live in Duluth, MN so I could always stay overnight there, then take the 9 hour drive the next day. But that still makes a 12 hour drive on the way home.

I think that's about it. I know...it's alot to ask. But, I figured this forum would be able to provide much better info than just searching the web for days on end.

thanks in advance.

Check out Gateway North Outfitters out of Emo, Ontario. Lucas has a few different options that may work well for you. He has a few remote outpost cabins with outstanding laker fishing and some walleye fishing available in the winter. Honestly, we don't do extremely well for walleyes up there in the winter at his outpost cabins, but we don't fish for them a whole lot. We'll often fish 4 days up there without seeing another soul. It's pretty sweet. He also has a couple nice cabins at his main lodge with walleye and great crappie fishing right out his door, and lakers a quick snowmobile ride away.

Summer is great for walleyes up there, at both his outpost and main lodge.

Full disclosure, I'm a friend of Lucas. I've spent a lot of time in the area and have gotten to know him well. He and his family have been very good to me and I enjoy seeing all of them whenever I get a chance. I'd just give him a call and chat with him. He'll be honest with you regarding whether or not he has what you are looking for. If he doesn't think his operation is a good fit, he will definitely steer you in the right direction. From what you've written I think he has just about everything you are looking for, though. The only thing I'd be a little concerned about is the winter walleye fishing. I know they are there, we catch them all the time in the summer, but I don't feel like they would compare to a lake like LOTW or Red as far as putting out numbers through the ice. For us, the incredible lake trout fishing makes up for it.

If you talk to him, tell him NoWiser says that Marcums are for girls!

I'll recommend and compare 2 places I've stayed multiple times.

Muskie Bay Resort on Crow Lake in Nestor Falls: Nice, affordable place to stay... owners are very nice and can point you in the right direction for fishing if you need it. Lakers on Crow and Crappie/Walleye/Perch on Lake of the Woods. I go there for the lakers but usually take the couple mile snowmobile ride over to LOTW for a half day or so of whatever we feel like fishing for.

Tomahawk Resort on Regina Bay in Sioux Narrows: This place is BEAUTIFUL. If you really want a place to take your family in the summer... this is it! The owners are nice people, but not much for fishermen. I go here for lakers as well, but have snowmobiled up to Yellowgirl Bay for the Crappies and Walleyes. That trip is about 15 miles, but an easy straight shot through Long Bay.

The crappies were better at Muskie Bay, the walleyes much better at Tomahawk, perch and tulibees are an option at Muskie Bay that I don't know of at Tomahawk. You don't seem too interested in lakers, but both places give you the option of fishing Whitefish Bay which is known for big fish. Muskie Bay also gives you the convenient option of fishing Crow or about 10 other portage lakes, which are known for numbers.

I have winter fished at both Muskie Bay Resort and Lucas's remote cabin on Dogfly and recommend either, Lucas and Paul will provide what you are looking for. Muskie Bay is more of a resort type experience with a lodge for dining, cabins, or motel rooms, and you can strike out on your own for trout or go to nearby LOW for Walleyes or crappies. Gateway I believe is similar although I have only used their outpost cabin on Dogfly which is a nice, well equipped cabin. But I will offer a third option, Camp Manitou on Lake Manitou run by Matt Korbetz, where I have had my best lake trout fishing in terms of size and quantity. In the winter Camp Manitou which is on an island, is pretty much an outpost experience, and Matt will set you up and tell you where the fish are, but you are on your own, and seldom run into other parties. The cabins are nice and heat with wood that Matt has stock piled and you do your own cooking with pots and pans supplied. About the same thing as Dogfly. There is a small lake accessible from Manitou or Dogfly via portage. I have also used the outpost cabins on Clearwater West north of Atikokan at Barry Brown's resort, but that is quite a haul, but might be worth it for a big trout. A record trout was caught on nearby White Otter lake last winter. Barry has rooms at the resort with meals, or 2 outpost cabins in the winter.

H

Tolens Pelican Landing gets my vote. It has all the fish you mentioned. Your discription actually sounds like Tolen's. You can run 25 miles for lake trout or you can run half that. I found that the more I fish that area the better I feel about moving around, GPS helping. I know there is no such thing as a guarantee, but I beleve Morson is as close as it gets. Thats all year round. Call Robert @ Tolens, he can give you the latest info and if you would like to talk to me directly, you can get my # from Robert. GOOD LUCK. WFT

I think we could fit most of what you are looking for at our Off Lake location. We have good crappie, decent walleye, and excellent lake trout available. Fish multiple lakes and species all with short snowmobile ride right from the cabin. I also have a road plowed on Off Lake depending on conditions from the cabin. The cabins are electice heat and have running water in the winter. It is just a small resort with very good walleye fishing in the summer and a relaxed atmosphere. We will do our best to get you on the fish. Give me a call and I can fill you in on all the details.

And thanks to those recommending our operation.

Hi Pos1

Our cabins at Tolens Pelican Landing have electric heat so you don't have to worry about coming back to a cold cabin , The fishing out of Morson would be hard to beat. Please check out our HSOforum link . If you have any questions just shoot me a PM . Have a great day

Robert

Perhaps a remote sled in camp for winter/boat in for summer would be appealing. We don't have the walleyes, but winter Laker fishing is great. We have very good Small Mouth Bass, Northern and Muskie in summer. Being remote on Lower Manitou you won't see many other folks, not much pressure. Our cabins in winter are heated with wood, but we will fire the stove for you when you are out, also no running water in winter but we bring lake water to your cabin and there is a sauna and shower in our sauna building. In summer we do have running water and indoor plumbing. We have 24 hr power as well. If you have questions please email/call. Below is a link to a short video from last winter.

Barker Bay Face book page

I second Fred Bear and Ron's posts.. Paul and Chris at Muskie Bay offer everything an ice fisherman can possibly want and they will do whatever it takes to help you find the fish. There are so many directions you can go from there if you are looking for trout you can start on Crow or head north to Caviar or Atikwa if you up for adventure.. or simply catch the snowmobile trial across the road and go for some big trout in Whitefish Bay.. Crappies, Walleyes, Pike you will find everything your looking for in a short distance from Muskie Bay. Oh yeah and the lodging is pretty nice too!