• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Heater Cooker Won't Light

drewbop

Question

I have a Mr. Heater Cooker (the one that you can lay on its side and convert it to a little stove). Anyways, last year it stopped lighting up for me so I bought a new one. I'm debating throwing it out, but have decided to ask all the experts here and see if there is an easy fix?

Went you hold down the primer button she starts to light up, but never gets orange and never stays lit. Is there a solution at all?

14 answers to this question

Well it doesn't fully light when I push the button down. I actually don't have a thermocouple on it currently. When you press down the button and hold a match to it, it stays at a very low, blue flame. Maybe that's why-

I'll find a thermocouple and try that-

It'll need to get hot enough with a bright orange glow in order for a thermocouple to work.

If all your getting is a small flame its time to clean it. After the valve will be the orfice. You'll want to remove it and run a small wire through it. Used compressed air to blow out and spider webs around the air mixture.

Took me awhile, but I finally found some time to get at cleaning it. I took it apart and clean up everything (it was extremely dirty). I now have it to a point where it will light up when I squeeze the "primer button" (or whatever you call it) down. But once I release the button, it will not stay lit.

Could a thermocouple be the culprit here (it currently doesn't have one on it)?

FYI- In laymans terms, if the thermocouple isn't hot the unit thinks something is bad and shuts the gas off. The "Primer button" you speak of, in a nutshell, bypasses the thermocouple so you can get things lit and and hot. So yes, a thermocouple is very important if you want to keep things running.

They go bad. It's a common thing. As stated by others, buy a spare and keep it with you.

Clean the orifice and blow out the cob webs. Use a small enough wire that you not enlarging the size hole in the orifice.

A set of welding tip cleaners work really well for this and you can pick the right size with out widing out the hole. H/Freight or any cheap tool places or a welding supply has them. I use them for all kinds of cleaning they even work well on cleaning carb holes out. wink