• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2013-2014 Gopher Hoops!

CodyDawg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish it wasn't true but Mn. will always struggle to get top notch talent. They cant compete with the better/bigger Big Ten schools because of location, weather and our poor facility. If you were a blue chipper would you take MN. over lets say Ohio State, Michigan or Indiana?

It depends where I was from and just how much of a blue chipper I was. If I was from here or the program was consistently in the upper half of the big ten (top 25 nationally) and I was a top 100 recruit, yes, I would definitely consider MN very strongly. But we have some work to do before we are consistently are in the upper half of the B1G. I will say this, with Pitino we have a lot better shot than with the Tubster.

I would think the new training facilities that are planned will help in a few years. Doesn't help right now but down the road.

Too bad some of these MN kids don't want to be a part of turning something around instead of going somewhere else that may be a contender now.

Watched some highlights from the exhibition games, and one thing that really stuck out to me was Moe Walker looked tiny compared to last year. Did a little research and found he lost over 50 pounds over the summer. Good for him, hopefully it'll translate into a better game.

I was stunned to hear predictions that he was going to pick the Gophers. I doubt he ever seriously considered the Gophers. You can't blame the kid for grabbing a fantastic opportunity.

Hopefully one day the program will be strong enough to attract some higher quality recruits.

Tough loss in Maui but not unexpected. They hung tough all game but couldn't get over the hump and wrestle control away from Syracuse. I went to the home games against Wofford and Montana. They do have a pretty good backcourt, and so far the frontcourt has shown much improvement from last year. My attitude with the conference season is "show me," so I'm not too high on them yet, but they have some things to be excited about. It's another tough conference top to bottom so they will be lucky to finish any higher than 9, but there is a chance the league could send 8 to the NCAA tournament. Lots of games left, too early to say much. Looking forward to Mo returning tomorrow after 6 games off following a tantalizing preseason.

They really needed Mo for today's game against Cuse. Eliason played great, but when you have to plug Osieniks and King into his spot when he's on the bench they're gonna struggle. I was just glad to see them stick with Syracuse and have a chance at the end.

After seeing what Arkansas's Bigs did to us yesterday, it's going to be tough to compete with the big ten boys on the inside. Our press, transition game and perimeter shooting will need to carry us and that will be a tall order for a team that plays small ball. We need to clean up our turnovers as well. master of the obvious.

I didn't really understand why we stayed in that zone the whole game. We gave up dunk after dunk after dunk after dunk. As soon as they got it to the free throw area the middle man stepped up on him and the two outside guys were way too far on the perimeter to protect the basket. Flawed system or poor execution, idk, but something needed to change.

Side note, Oto Osieneks and Joey King both play very hard, but they look like DIII talents.

Amazing to see the players in shape this year. I think Pitino is going to get it done here and hopefully we can keep him. Players heads are up this year. Seems to be a totally different atmosphere.

I watched last night and also the Syracuse game. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to hang in the Big Ten as long as the bigs don't get into foul trouble.

You bet Dr. J, and that was against a decent non conference opponent. I liked the way they came out in the 2nd half. Coach has them playing hard, playing together and they have a much better perimeter game. I originally thought they would win 7 maybe 8 in the conference, not enough to make the Big dance, but the way they are shooting the 3 who knows, go gophs!!

Nonconference season is done, 11-2, on to the brutal Big Ten. Michigan announced yesterday that Mitch McGary's season is done, he's going to have back surgery. The Gophers get the Wolverines on Thursday night to open the conference schedule, might be good timing but Michigan still has plenty of firepower.

I'm hoping for 8-10 but 6-12 might be more likely. Best case scenario I'd go 9-9 and be on the bubble.

Missed a golden opportunity. Short handed Michigan wins with a more efficient half court game including some spectacular 3 point shooting. Senior Austin Hollin's stinker of a game didn't help, 1-9 from the field. Would have been nice to get a win to start things off, they are going to have a couple brutal stretches in conference play.

New season.... New coach.....same old gophers.... Disappointing effort and if just guarding the guy bringing the ball up the court is the magical pressure we were so excited about I would have to say there isn't much to get excited about

Was at the game today and they played pretty well. Refs really tried to steal the game for Purdue but we made clutch free throws down the stretch(Smith and King) and the Hollins boys shot and played so much better than the Michigan game which we gave away. Still so much more exciting Bball than we had with Tubby. If Pitino can recruit we are going to see some great ball in the future. DrJ.....

After the Mich game I was pretty disappointed, but really, we are going to have some bad stretches for a year or two. I doubt they will be anything like the late season total collapse-blame-the-players debacle that was a Tubby staple, but there will be a few games we lose we think we should have won.

they are on the right track...i think...so give them some time. I see him 2 years behind the football team, but on a similar path.

They were lucky to win tonight at Penn St. in an ugly stop and start game. Pitino's management of the game the last 5 minutes or so probably made up for some of their poor performance on the court, something Tubby had not been doing. At least there were no line changes. smile

These "new" rules are causing many of these Big 10 games to be difficult to watch. Too many foul calls making it tough to get any kind of flow going. The way the game was going tonight there were times they could've just played the game from the charity stripe and forgotten about bringing the ball up the court. You just knew they were going to blow the whistle and stop play anyway. In some of the games I've watched it's almost like the officials have determined at some point they're calling too many fouls so they back off, letting some blatant fouls slide only to revert back to calling tickle fouls to make up for some of the passes they've issued. Watching IA and WI the other night, it's no wonder Fran McCaffery blew a gasket. Not that I'm a McCaffery guy and I'm certainly no Hawkeye fan but if this keeps up he may become the heir apparent to Bobby Knight! grin