• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to put down winterizer?

18 inch Crappie

I used to fetilizer 5 times a year, but the yard next to mine he only did his 3 times a year and we hae the same yard (we both had them sodded at the same time)There was no difference in the grass over the last 5 years. So now I am on the spring-summer-fall time line. My question is when in the fall is the best time to put down my last application?

The chemical in CG control breaks down in 6-8 weeks. It doesn't hold over winter.

Even if you think it's going to be frozen, it would have to be spread, everything freeze, then in the spring, as soon as the snow melts, it would start to break down and be gone well before the CG ever started to germinate.

There's no real reason to even apply it early in the spring. If anything you would use it for the second application. Most people apply it too early, then the chemical is gone before the CG starts to germinate. The person thinks "shoot, didn't get it down early enough" so they do it earlier, even more crabgrass. Eventually they give up, deciding the junk doesn't work, so what's the use.

Do your regular timing, when ground temps reach 53-55 degrees for 3 days at sunrise, then do a second app about 4-5 weeks later and if you don't have better results, I will give you a full refund for this advice. laugh

I know of townhomes that do what fisher does as well. I don't maintain them. It's hard to deal with people that don't understand how landscape and chemicals operate.

Depends on the growing season.

The products I use last 6-8 weeks, depending on watering levels.

Typically we have about 24 weeks of growing (May - October, so that would 4 applications.

I know there are companies that sell 5, IMO, at 8 weeks you could get by with 3.

Usually the 5th application is either a granular material to help with grubs, but that can be combined with a fert and knock out two birds with one stone.

Mid May, Late June, later Aug, mid October.

I don't care for a fert in the middle of July (5th app) as usually it's so hot and dry, it's hard even for the irrigated lawns to keep green.

Our grass wants to naturally go dormant in the summer, I don't fight it TOO much, as long as the customer is on board with me.

Little bit off topic, but can I still put grass seed down or am I too late? I see rain in forecast and have a few spots that need some attention.

We just seeded 5,000 sq ft at a townhome today. It's getting late for 100% germination, but at least we'll have a start for next season!! laugh