• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat comparison

Starman

Question

Without starting a great boat debate, I am interested in some of the readers 2 cents. I'm thinking of investing in a new boat and am considering a Lund 1800 Pro Sport or a Crestliner 1850 Sportfish. The new boat will mainly be used for fishing, however I need to keep the option open to skiing and tubing. Both boats have different advantages. One comment I heard was that Crestliner can be a wet ride in the chop. Would like to get some constructive comments or opinions both good and bad on each. Thanks in advance.

22 answers to this question

Lund

• Smooth rough water ride
  • Stable for moving around
  • Quality sturdy flooring
  • Excellent livewell, baitwell, and locker compartments

Crestliner

• Lifetime hull warranty
  • Planes easily and quickly
  • Floors seem spongey
  • Lower transome = wet back trolling

This is my experience with each model.

[This message has been edited by LundFish Vex (edited 02-06-2003).]

Wait until there is open water and then go to a dealer that has a place where you can drive each boat. You may have to go to a couple of dealers but you should be able to find a place to drive each before you make a decision. You don't need to buy a boat at the boat show to get the price that they offer at those shows. The price is usually the same even later in the year but the show just gets more exposure and so it is a 'sale'. Take your time and you will be happier with your boat in the end.

I have the 1750 sportfish and highly recommend it. Plenty of storage, I use the 2 pedestal rod holders in the bases in the back when trolling. In my opinion the front plate floor converts easier then the Lund, both are nice boats and I think you will find that the resale is the same on either boat.

Don't overlook Alumacraft! Looks like you own one now, and love it, why overlook it? My opinion the 2XB hull outperforms all other aluminum boats. Smooth, quiet and dry ride.

I have the Lund 1700 Pro Sport - it's a great boat. Nice dry ride, very high quality throughout, and engineered with the fisherman in mind. Haven't regretted buying it once.

No experience with Crestliners, so I can't bad mouth 'em. wink.gif

I have ran Alumacraft for the last 6 years and they have been great. the 2xb hull is a great ride. As far as wet they are all wet in the right conditions with a heavy chop and hard wind. The Alumacraft is the most fisherman friendly boat on the market..They dont seem to be so concerned about setting their boats up for the tournament fishing like lund. good luck in finding your boat
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

I'll be looking at Tyee's, Sportfish's and Trophy's in the fall. After all of the research and opinions I've found that you really can't go wrong with any of the three - quality wise. Correct?

My best guess is that the selection comes down to cost, motors, dealer service and the feel of the boat?

I bought an Alumacraft Competitor 170 last summer and I love it. It all comes down to what you are looking for in a boat. I like the setup of the Alumacraft the best of the boats that I looked at. I was in the $7500 to $9000 range. My Competitor has all the bells and whistles you could want, and that was what I was looking for. By the way, my dry storage is very dry storage. I keep extra clothes in there all season long and never 1 drop of water. It all comes down to what you want out of a boat. My choice is Alumacraft.

I dont know that the 1800 Fish is set up as a tournament boat. Granted there are some Lund boats that are tournament specific. That is why there are different models. I would never suggest a Pro-v Le to a guy who took his family out 75% of the time. That is just not reasonable. As far as the Lund, Crestliner, and Alumacraft issue goes. Crestliner, biggest thing is the aluminum welding, welded aluminum loses strength. Dont know about the fit and finish of Crestliner. Alumacraft, a few things I have noticed, they have far less structural support than a Lund. Next time you are ata boat show look at the bottom of a Lund and the bottom of a Alumacraft, comparing equal boat to equal boat. You will notice more longitudinal stringes in a Lund, which in turn will make a much more solid ride. The fit and finish on a Alumacraft is close to a Lund, but their dry storage claim is a joke. I looked at a few and the molded compartment lip had a dip in it that funneled water into the compartment. In my opinion the Lund is the best bu8lt boat of the three. Am I saying the others are junk? NO But if you want the best built boat the Lund is it.
Brian

I too have a Competitor 170 ( CS Sport, to be exact ) the sport has a rear deck, though small, big enough to stand on. For me, it came down to layout and storage. I did not water-test them all and that's a good idea. I don't think Competitor's are being made anymore though, replaced by tourny pro's (upper end) and Magnum's (lower end). You can save a few pennies by looking for a "new" boat, a year or two old- that's what I did. One regret-- not maxing out the motor, went 75 vs 115. Don't get me wrong-40mph is just fine, but later on you might want more. Check out Nelson's. They did great for me, both in setup and minor after-purchase gliches. Also, ask for any extra's to sweeten the deal-- cover, spare tire, etc.. They can only say no.
Overall, I'm very happy with my Alumacraft!

BTW--- My dry storage is very dry and very, very tested.
rascalP

I looked hard at both brands mentioned along with alumacraft... I went with Lund. I know they are hyped to death, but the quality is top notch on the lunds. I narrowed it down to the lund and alumacraft and went lund. alumacraft makes a darn fine boat as well... all 3 have great products and I'm sure you will be happy with any of them... compare the features you are looking for in a boat on all models.

The one feature that the new model crestliner has over the lund is the new convertable rear deck.

It is the best I've seen. Folded back it has a couple of decent spots to sit. Unfolded it turns into one of the biggest rear casting/fishing platorms I've seen in a fish and ski boat.

Great Design.

I currently own a lund.

Get a Boston Whaler if you can afford to shell out the extra cash. These babies are the preferred choice of Special Forces and the Coast Guard. Only boat I know of that you can literally cut in half and drive away on the back half while your passengers wait on the front half until you come back to ferry them to safety. One Whaler took a round that punched a three foot hole in her side but she still brought the crew to safety on 30 miles of rough ocean. If you are not convinced, do what I did. Walk up to the boats you think are tough and punch the side. Use caution when you try this on a Whaler as I almost broke my hand doing this at the boat show. You will love the stable ride and your family will thank you for getting the Whaler if you ever get stuck in wild water. A 16 footer is about 10 grand more than the compareable Lund's and Crestliner's so you may not be able to go the Whaler route. I compare Whaler's to my bikes, I have a Honda but it has not run in years while my 20 and 30 year old Harley's will still be running long after I'm dead.

That is excellent that you can cut your fishing boat in half and keep going, I can really see the benifit! I can't believe I didn't spring for the extra 10 grand so that I could use my FISHING boat for naval battles. I can't imagine something more useless????

Starman,
I have a 2002 crestliner 1850 sportfish. The negatives on this boat are:
1. It has a somewhat wet ride going crosswind in a heavy chop.
2. The rod storage is poor if you use longer rods.
3. The 2002 model has a fuel tank recall.
( the hold down brackets have to be replaced )
The positives I like are:
1. It comes with 4 high quality seats.
2. It planes out very quickly even with a low end recommended HP motor ( 115 4 stroke ).
3. I prefer the pedestal recepticall layout on the crestliner. They have one on each side of the motor vs one right behind the motor on some other brands.