• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat accessory help...

cluelessfisherman

Question

Ok guys. I am looking forward to the open water season already and could use a little help in some of my decision making.

1) Marine Radio. I have found the Uniden Deluxe marine Radio for $100 refurbished - regular retail over $300. Not sure if thats what you would suggest - I am open to anything. I know nothing about them - do I need to install one of those huge antennas that I see on some boats??

2)GPS - I did some checking on the past discussions and liked the features of the Garmin GPS map 76 or 72. Would definately get the lake software to download. Will use it for fishing and storing hot spots. With all the latest technology, I am lost as to what I should get - seems like everyone has a different suggestion when it comes to GPS units. Any info would be helpful.

3) Bown Mount Trolling Motor. I have a Alumacraft Navigator 165 - what size would you suggest. Would like foot control. Suggestions please.

4) Bow locator. Do many of you put a locator on your bow? If I do, is the ducer attachable to the trolling motor so I can see whats under the front of the boat, instead of behind the boat?

5) Rod Holders - any suggestions as to what I could use on the Navigator. Don't want the screw on the side ones as that scratches the paint like something else. Would like to have a base screwed flat that is something that the rod holder can snap in or twist in and be taken off when not in use. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..

------------------
Clueless - -

11 answers to this question

Dont know on the marine radio. As for the bow mount go for a Minn Kota with the universal sonar so you can plug your bow locator right into it. That is one of the slickest deals in the last few years. I have a Magellan Sport Trak pro GPS and I love it. Only bad thing there is no Fishing hot spots softwqare for it. For rodholders I would go with the RAM rodholders. The base mounts fairly flat, with a plug to keep water out when the rodholder is out of the base.
Brian

i can only comment on the bow mount trolling motor and locator. i vote for the minnkota too. get plenty of power. look at your boat and picture what it will take to hold it in a stiff wind. i have 74# thrust on my 18 ft. but my boat sits low in the water. i use the front locator all of the time when fishing. del

If you are going to be fishing open water you can get away with saving a little moeny and buying a moterguide... If you are fishing in any weeds at all.. Get the Minnkota MAXXUM. Best t-moter on them arket in my opinion... If you can afford it, get the 74lb thrust.. more power is always nice.

If you are going foot controol and plan on using it, yes I would mount a ducer to your T-moter and have a depth finder up front also.. If you are going to primarily back troll then its not as important. I just bought the new X97 for my front.. replaced a X65... I have the LMS 240 on the dash!

Clueless-
That radio sounds ok. Things to watch out for is the radio waterproof (not water resistant)? In your tiller you'll need to find a spot to hide the radio from the elements (sun, water, etc.). For the antenna I run an 8' fiberglass for long distance communication. You can get a 4', 6' or 8' antenna, either whip (metal) style or fiberglass, whatever you prefer. The reception is best with a 8' fiberglass, IMO.

GPS, whatever you prefer. I'm not up on the new ones and all the fancy options. I bought the 1st Garmin III several years ago and I like it. It has mapping features and has been a good unit.

Bow mount- Do you mean "power drive/auto pilot" or the manual, cable drive is what I refer it as. I have the power drive, like it for the most part, but I think I would like to get a Maxxum. I think 50lbs of thrust would do you fine on your boat, that's what I have and it's ok and my boat is a lot heavier.

Bow locater- Vexilar, if you have it!!! smile.gif You can get a transducer that straps onto the trolling motor and it is slick. I'm installing my flasher on the bow and on the stern this year.

Rod Holders- I went cheap and bought some at Fleet Farm on sale years ago. I love them! I don't remember the name. You can get some really nice holders now days, for a pretty price too. All in your taste. Be sure to get rod holders that have a mount, and can be removed from the base, and you can move the holder to each side of the boat with different base locations within the boat.

Good luck.

P.S. I found a Sitex marine radio/8' antenna/base brand new for $139! Email me [email protected]

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 02-06-2003).]

For the rod holders I have both Fish-on brand and Cabelas brand. I like the Cabelas better because you can buy the extended rods to lift the holders up. Makes grabbing your rod easier and you will lose less fish.

I would definatly put a Vexilar on the front. I have flashers on the front and back of my rig and use the flasher just as much as my graph.
One tip. Buy a narrow cone transducer. It will put you more precisly on structure. Aslo make sure they are of different frequencies. This will eliminate any of the extra clutter.
my .02

Marine Radio- Hands down, Raytheon 45. Ive been through too many Uniden's and consider them junk. The Raytheon can take on all elements.
GPS map 76 is a good unit. Has WAAS and lots of features.
Bow trolling motor- Maxxum cable driven 24 volt.
Bow locator- Vexilar FL-18 or the Edge2
Rod Holders- Like mentioned, Cabelas Quick Draw, the Ram brand is good too.
Also get yourself a good quality onboard charger. I have had good luck with the Minn-kota MK-30

Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 02-06-2003).]

Thanks for all the replies. I need all the help I can get!

Sorry I didn't get around to replying sooner. I just got back from NYC.

Sounds like the RAM rod holders are the way to go. I have heard some other good comments about them. I need something a little higher than usual to get over the side of the boat. I have about 8" or so to clear. But like WP said, the Cabelas brand has the longer rod extensions a guy can buy. I will have to look into those a little more.

Will probably go with the Garmin 76 for the GPS. Sounds like the right unit for what I need.

Marine Radios - the one I was looking at was only water resistant. So I guess I should look into those a little more. I think the 8' antenna might be a little much for my boat. Might go with the 4' - what do you folks prefer? CD, that sounds like the price range I am looking for. I will shoot you an email.

Bow Mount will most likely be a MinnKota. I actually wanted the bow mount primarily for fishing weeds, so should go with the Maxxum. I only have a 44 lb transom mount MinnKota and that pushes the boat around pretty well, might get just a little more power up front for chopping up the weeds, don't think I will need the 74.

Bow locator - most suggest a vex - I don't know anything about them. Am I able to buy one for both summer/winter fishing? I would assume I just need some different attachments - (blue box, ducer, etc?)- I really know nothing about them. But if I could use the unit year round, I think I could justify shelling out for the fl-18.

Also, I know nothing about an onboard charger. I haven't even looked at them. Can anyone give some input on those - as to what I should get (or how in the world to use them). I have limited space, so are they overly large?

Thanks again!

------------------
Clueless - -

The two main brands of on-board chargers are Guest and Charging Systems International (CSI). For the Guests it is recommended that you leave a certain amount of room around the unit for ventilation and possibly mount it in a certain orientation since they get somewhat hot. The CSI chargers only get warm to the touch so you don't need to have air space around them and they can be mounted in any orientation. The CSI chargers are more expensive than the Guest. The size depends on how many sets of leads (banks) the unit has 1, 2 or 3. This relates to how many batteries you want to charge since, generally, one set of leads goes to one battery.

Hey Fishin'Bemidji,

I will swing by sometime tomorrow and see if you are around.

Does anyone have any input on the MinnKota chargers? I will have 3 batts in the boat, one for the bow mount, one for transom mount and then the starter/electronics battery.

I am quite Clueless about all these updated boat accessories, so please keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Thanks again!

------------------
Clueless - -