• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permit To Purchase?

I've recently got the opportunity to bow hunt in some pretty heavy bear and wolf country, I would like to start packing some protection to and from my stand just in case.

My question is do I already have to have the gun and dealer chosen before I fill out the Permit To Purchase? It looks like on the paper work they want to know the dealers info.

Can't I just fill out the permit, get a card/certificate, then go shop around?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't need the dealer info. are you sure you got the right forms.

this is what you need to fill out and turn into your police or sheriff department in person.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-div...e-transfer.aspx

click on the link in option #1

the dealer info is only needed if you are doing a one time transfer and you are having the dealer apply for you.

one other thing if you do carry while hunting make sure it stays out in the open or they could tag you for carrying concealed if it gets covered by a jacket or other stuff. speaking of carrying openly or concealed your better option is to just take the class and get a carry permit. then you don't have to worry if it gets covered while hunting or not plus you then could carry any other time you want to.

I would check the hunting regs. From my understanding you are not allowed to carry a firearm while bow hunting for deer even if you have a carry permit.

that has been changed. you can now carry while deer hunting with a bow if you have a carry permit. just don't use it on a deer or you would get tagged for that.

here is from the regulation book (page 21&22)

handguns Persons age 18 or older may carry a handgun in the woods and fields or upon waters to hunt or target shoot. Persons under age 18 may carry hand­ guns for hunting if in the actual presence or under the direct supervision of the person’s parent or guardian, and if they meet firearms safety require­ ments (see page 34). Except those licensed to carry a concealed weapon, a person may not possess a firearm while bowhunting for deer

The “Concealed carry or permit to carry” provisions apply to certain hunt­ ing activities. Persons with a permit under this law generally may carry their handguns uncased and loaded while hunting, and while traveling to or from hunting locations by motor vehicle under the hunting firearms transporta­ tion laws. However, possession of the handgun while “shining” would still subject the possessor to the provisions of these laws (see page 29, artificial lights, for more information).

this is the part that gives carry permit holders the exception when bow hunting for deer.

Except those licensed to carry a concealed weapon, a person may not possess a firearm while bowhunting for deer.

to me this means if you have a carry permit you can carry while bowhunting for deer but if you don't have the carry permit then you can not carry.

after re reading the original posters post I would say to legally carry while bow hunting during the bow hunting season only that the original poster would need to have a carry permit to be legal. now if it was firearms season and they opened carried and had a firearms deer license then they would be okay. the best thing would be to just get a carry permit.

Brad you are correct they must have recently changed the law. Here is the text from page 91 of the regs for deer archery point number 2

Deer—archery

Season Dates: September 14–December 31

Open Areas: Archery hunters can hunt statewide except in areas designated

closed and itasca State Park (deer area 287).

October 17–20: Blaze orange is required in deer areas open for the youth

deer season.

• Archery hunters in deer area 601 may take an unlimited number of

antlerless deer.

• Except those licensed to carry a concealed weapon, a person may not

take deer by archery while in possession of a firearm.

• in all 300-series deer areas, including special hunts, antler point restrictions

are in effect for archers. Refer to page 81 for information.

Your best bet is to get the carry permit. That way you do not have to re-apply each year only once every 5 yrs and with a permit to carry you do not have to get the permit to purchase. In the long run your money ahead and it saves time.

this is what you need to fill out and turn into your police or sheriff department in person.

When you click on your link and choose option 1 the very first thing they want you to fill out is the dealer info.

So what do I do just leave that part blank?

Guru,

If you can swing in to your local Sheriff or law enforcement office, or maybe call ahead. They should have the form and it takes about 5 minutes to fill out then you give it to them and they take care of it, and if you pass all their tests they will mail your card to you.

the dealer info is only needed if you are doing a one time transfer and you are having the dealer apply for you.

one other thing if you do carry while hunting make sure it stays out in the open or they could tag you for carrying concealed if it gets covered by a jacket or other stuff. speaking of carrying openly or concealed your better option is to just take the class and get a carry permit. then you don't have to worry if it gets covered while hunting or not plus you then could carry any other time you want to.

Brad-

I'd like to see where it states you cannot carry concealed without a permit while hunting.

Realistically you should just go through the class and get your carry permit then not worry about it. But I cannot imagine they would make you open carry while hunting without having your carry permit...You sometimes have way too much in the way (vest, jacket, bibs etc) to open carry and concealed is the only way to go.

Plus how would a guy open carry with waders on? Maybe attach it to your lanyard? wink

I'd like to see where it states you cannot carry concealed without a permit while hunting.

By (MN) state law, carrying a pistol in public places without a carry permit is against the law. This is regardless of concealed or not concealed.

The hunting regs allow for carry of a pistol "in the woods and fields or upon waters to hunt or target shoot", but this is not grant of a temporary carry permit of the type that permits concealed carry, as evident by the different provisions called out for those hunters specifically having a true carry permit.

Funny, MN doesn't have a concealed carry permit, just the carry permit...it's up to you how you want to carry...is that really how it's stated in the regs?

Yep, That's why it is a permit to carry, Carry how you please.

There is no permit in MN that allows a specific type of carry...CC or not. It's up to you how you want to carry it.

I was making the point to Brad that if you're hunting you can carry a handgun concealed or not without a permit (besides bow hunting) legally.

I fully understand the terminology. Re-read what I said rather than getting hung up on some point of semantics because that is irrelevant to the bottom line.

I'll repost it here -

By (MN) state law, carrying a pistol in public places without a carry permit is against the law. This is regardless of concealed or not concealed.

The hunting regs allow for carry of a pistol "in the woods and fields or upon waters to hunt or target shoot", but this is not grant of a temporary carry permit of the type that permits concealed carry, as evident by the different provisions called out for those hunters specifically having a true carry permit.

So, in summary, simply because you are hunting doesn't allow you to carry a concealed pistol, unless you have a carry permit.

I should add this: Carrying a pistol while hutning isn't intended to provide self defense in the woods from another person...if that situation arose I'd hope your shotgun/rifle would suffice. wink

What does that have to do with anything regarding whether concealed carry is legal under the carry provisions of the hunting regs?

If I believe use of force is justified I'm using whatever means is most handy, most quickly, regardless if I'm hunting or sitting in my livingroom.

Sorry I'm not trying to start an argument here but I still don't follow your logic. Semantics or not...

I've asked the Hennepin Cty Sheriff this same question in the past. Their answer: Yes you can carry a handgun if you're legally hunting (stated before not while bowhunting), concealed or not concealed without a permit. Carrying a pistol onto public hunting land (public place, yes?) is permitted.

You are allowed to carry your shotgun into the woods/fields and posess a handgun on oneself at the same time. That to me is "carrying" a handgun.

You're also allowed to carry a pistol directly to and from your place of business/work while in your vehicle without a permit but like I said earlier, it's best to just get the permit and not worry about it.

I don't know how to put it any more clearly.

All the noise you've presented here regarding other carry situations and other types of firearms is irrelevant to whether or not hunting grants you exception to needing a carry permit to conceal your pistol while out hunting.

I don't believe hunting grants that exemption, regardless of what the Sheriff says. He's probably not going to be the one interpreting the hunting laws in the field, nor the one ultimately deciding the intent of the law in the worst case getting caught and having to get to the bottom of it once and for all.

We do agree on one thing, anyway, that if one desires to carry a concealed pistol while out hunting it's better to get the carry permit than to deal with any potential hassle.

Sorry I'm not trying to start an argument here but I still don't follow your logic. Semantics or not...

I've asked the Hennepin Cty Sheriff this same question in the past. Their answer: Yes you can carry a handgun if you're legally hunting (stated before not while bowhunting), concealed or not concealed without a permit. Carrying a pistol onto public hunting land (public place, yes?) is permitted.

You are allowed to carry your shotgun into the woods/fields and posess a handgun on oneself at the same time. That to me is "carrying" a handgun.

You're also allowed to carry a pistol directly to and from your place of business/work while in your vehicle without a permit but like I said earlier, it's best to just get the permit and not worry about it.