• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer attractant

WE have used C'mere deer in North Dakota. I have seen areas where the deer dug a hole 4ft by 4ft to get all the C,mere deer out of the dirt. We placed some liquid stuff on a area and some got on a log, they simply tore the log apart to get it all. I would guess some molasses would also work as that is sweet.

I would just put out a pile of shelled corn, maybe a few apples and then some sugar beets after they have harvested them. They are typically left in the fields and alot of them. Just use the whole ones and maybe cut a corner off. Carrots also turn deer on along with apples.

We have crabapple trees in our yard and I pick some of them and the deer love them. I have seen many deer at these trees standing on thier hind legs trying to eat all the apples up high. Fun to watch them.

This will work anywhere on any deer.

I would read the ND regs for where you can bait as some state land is off limits.

I guide for a handi capped hunt every fall and we bait these deer and the list I have above works very well for me each fall. I would place a trail camera there also to see what you have feeding at the pile.

Was the deercane you put out on a heavily traveled trail, they may have not found it if it was in a area where the deer do not travel much.

I have a camera right in front of the spot where I put the cane, (the package for the cane states exactly what you said, "the deer will chew, paw eat the dirt, log etc") I have pics of several deer passing the spot where i put it. But I can tell they have not even touched it via no pics of it and it looks undisturbed.!!

I am hunting on all private land.

Sprinkle some shelled corn and have the corn tough the deercane. That way, they can follow the corn as they eat it to the deercane. Start the corn in the area they are walking and lead that corn trail to the deercane. They will find it then.

If they will not touch the deercane, I would place a mineral block there. A feed store should have a block of mineral and thats much less than the deer stuff one buys in a sporting goods store.

In fact, I would put some corn all the way around the deercane. If they eat the corn and never touch the deercane, thyen I would say the deercane is of no value at all.

Yes Tyler, those beets do work well. I would use them for our Physically challenged hunt we offer for those who could not otherwise enjoy the outdoors without help from another but they are not ready in Sept.

The only time we do any baiting at all is for this special hunt. Trying to harvest a deer with a hunter in a wheelchair and missing limb's, can be a real tough job. The bait sure helps the deer stand still alot longer as these hunters do need alot of added time to be able to shot a bow.