• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

muzzleloader loads

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackhorn 209 powder really is as good as advertised. I buy the pistol bullets - 250 grain XTPs (.452) with crushed rib sabots. Buying separately and putting the bullet inside the sabot saves $.

I shoot an .50 Omega with a fairly tight bore so the black crushed rib or EZ glides load just right.

I used to use powerbelts and pellets but never again..

I don't think he was talking about you. I would've called talk until this year helping a buddy sight in his Encore with a 3x9 on it. That thing is amazingly accurate! we didn't go beyond 150 yards but with a little practice I wouldn't hesitate at 300 on a standing deer. I've hunted with a muzzleloader quite a bit and my limit is about 75 yards. After that the deer gets pretty small and makes it hard to pick the spot you want to hit.

I have a Nikon 3X9 BDC on my CVA, and have shot two deer just beyond 200 yards. Previously, while shooting 200 grain shockwaves with 115 grains of loose powder, I was zero at 100 yards, and the second circle down at 200 yards. I plan on practicing out to 300 yards for this season. I hunt muzzleloader season in Nebraska.

I used to use a custom peep site with a very narrow front post which allows great target visibility. Add a rear site with yardage and I could easily see a200yd accurate shot. Don't have to doubt people all the time. Some folks have the equipment to get it done and yes there are also others who shouldn't be taking those shots... So be it

Are you shooting at an elephant or a 200 lb. deer. Truth have you ever seen a deer at 100 yds. And then 200 yds. How much smaller is that target that's an extra 100 yds. Away? Lol..... Oh and by the way, I shot a rabbit the other day with my .22 that was 2 1/2 miles away with no scope on my gun....do it all the time!

+ 1 on the barnes t-ez pushed by 100gr of 777 50/50. Ive got it sighted in at 2" high at 50 and ive taken 2 deer with them and both were 100 plus with open sights. these are deadly acurate and will reach out to 200 no problem with iron sights.

Are you shooting at an elephant or a 200 lb. deer. Truth have you ever seen a deer at 100 yds. And then 200 yds. How much smaller is that target that's an extra 100 yds. Away? Lol..... Oh and by the way, I shot a rabbit the other day with my .22 that was 2 1/2 miles away with no scope on my gun....do it all the time!

I'm shooting at the heart...on a deer.

had several bucks and does in the scope out to 250 yds this weekend.

all easy shots. deer didn't fit my criteria for shooting. I've got a great rangefinder. so yardages are accurate. people shoot prairie dogs at 400yds all the time.

great deer phil!!

Thanks bud,

esp for all the help u gave me with loads and bullets. i'll need your help again next yrs when i upgrade to that custom peep sight.

YES it was a heck of a rush/borderline heart attack tryin to figure out where the deer went after the smoke clears. it mustve been the fastest reload in my life. then when all was settled n the smoke cleard the deer was layin there nvr moved another inch. =D

after i chked and made sure it was dwn for good, i had to figure out where all my equipment was. the ramrod was stuck in the ground, quick fill tubes and other misc loading equipment was all over the place. lol

im not even sure if i ever want to go back to a reg gun anymore.

kinda thinking about shooting patchball next season. my other buds has one and man it that thing cool.

he got a kit and made sum very cool multi stain patterns on the stock

good luck everyone and be safe