• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good fall crankbaits for walleye

I wish there were a simple (and cheap) answer to this question, but it really depends on the night. In terms of crankbaits, the "wisdom" I've heard is that long-bodies baits like husky jerks, smithwick rogues, bomber long-a's, etc. are best. And they do work, but sometimes the shad-bodies baits like Shad raps, flicker shads, storm shads, etc. also work.

And sometimes the big ones--heck, one of our best nights last year was pulling F-13's--work best. Other times, a #5 shad rap is the key. I don't think there's much of a shortcut except for getting on the water and driving around until something bites.

So, if I only had five baits to buy, I'd go with 1) Husky Jerks, 2) Smithwick Rattlin' Rogues, 3) Shallow Shad raps, 4) Regular shad raps, and 5) Original floater rapalas.

Color preference is a whole 'nother conversation. smile

And not to waffle too much, but speed also really depends on the night. The "wisdom" is to go slow--1.0 to 1.5 mph--and that works, sometimes. But one night in mid-October last year, we were slamming the fish going 2.5 mph, and at slower speeds we did much, much worse. So go figure. Again, head out (preferably with a few other folks to help narrow things down) and see what they like. Then rinse and repeat.

My favorite two are Deep Husky Jerk 12's and regular Husky Jerk 14's. Smithwick Rattlin Rogue's are another good one. Minnow Rap 9's and Taildancer 7's have also produced.

My Brother In Law was reeling em in last year on a Max Rap that he bought on clearance. I've looked for them, but they are tough to find at a decent price.

Trolling a clear & calm night on September full moon is my paradise. Dang, I could stay out all night long.

I've found myself pulling Shallow Shad Raps more and more in the fall... the smaller ones.

Favorite colors are Purpledescent and Yellow Perch. I like them around weeds because its

easier to tell when they foul.

When it comes to stickbaits... Rapala Husky Jerk 12s & 14s, Smithwick Super Rogues, Storm Thundersticks, and Rapala Floaters (various sizes).

What crank I'm running really depends on depth and what I'm trying to do with it. If I'm trying to pull over weedtops in shallow water, I'm using Floating Raps or Floating Rogues. If I'm trying to crank over rock in say 12' of water on Mille Lacs, I'm using a Husky Jerk or Super Rogue. Some of the in between depths with weed pockets or weeds of differing heights take a little playing around to get the right crank... usually looking at a Shallow Shad Rap or Floaters again.

Rapala, Husky....not Husky jerks. They dont make these anymore but if you can find them, buy them!

Great shorecasting, neck-down, current area crank. Caught numerous fish in the 8-11+ pound range on them.

In-Fish (Stange) got me hooked on them.

I fish jigs and minnows in the fall but I've heard crankbaits are real good producers all the way to ice up. What are the good fall cranks and what speed do you troll then at in the fall?

Junky E-mail me and I will give you a list of cranks I like on the river, island, fish and Pike lakes.

LOL...

Sounds like it's easier to stick with a jig and minnow. How about a spinner tipped with a minnow for fall trolling?

Don't give up on it. Fall trolling is way too much fun to waste all your time drowning minnows. smile

Get a few of the ones that folks have mentioned, and give it a try. If you're like me (and become addicted), you'll just have to buy a few bigger tackleboxes, that's all.

Trolling a clear & calm night on September full moon is my paradise. Dang, I could stay out all night long.

I usually do smile

Along with everything else people have listed as baits, i'm a big fan of the Rapala X Rap Shad Shallow. Gold, Purple Ghost, Hot Head.

Those things flat out put fish in the boat. Also a favorite at midnight on opener.

LOL...

Sounds like it's easier to stick with a jig and minnow. How about a spinner tipped with a minnow for fall trolling?

...Only 74 types of Rapala lures + the color schemes...And then there are many other brands...

There are also many ways to dress up a jig too i guess laugh

Bust out about $1,000 and you'll have a decent start on a crankbait collection blush I don't want to add up mine

The general rule of thumb for walleye cranks for fall is that water temperature determines the starting point for bait style and speed.

High water temps, say above 50 or 55 degrees, tend to favor shad style baits with tighter, faster wobbles. Low water temps, say below 50 degrees, tend to favor stick baits. This is not an absolute but it is a good starting point.

Water temp also determines the starting point for speed. I usually don't go below about 2 mph if the water is above 50-55 degrees. Cooler than that and I slow down, although I rarely get below 1.5 mph or so. But those are just starting points, I am always varying my speed until we get a pattern dialed in.

An earlier poster made a good point about the bait running depth .... you need to have the bait at the right depth for where you're fishing .... even if that means running diving shad lures if your stick baits won't go deep enough.

The common baits that everyone runs are husky jerks, rogues, shad raps and shallow shad raps. They all work great. But on a pressured lake like Mille Lacs, I often think running something a little different gives you a chance at putting many more fish in the boat. A couple examples are hornets and little rippers. Baits like these, and many others, can really shine on the nights when the raps and rogues are just not getting it done. You need to be willing to experiment and change it up if the bite is slow.