• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bad sounds from my auger?

redhooks

Question

I have a 10" strikemaster 3000 xl that is about 5 yrs old and has ran great up until last night. I drilled a couple holes last night while getting set up and when I went to drill another hole I heard this clanging comming from the head(kachingkachingkaching)sounded like a spoon was bouncing around inside or metal scraping metal. I continued to drill a couple more holes and there didn't seem to be any loss of power just this clanging noise even while the auger was idleing. I pulled the recoil off and looked around for something that could be rubbing or something floating around inside without seeing anything-I even shook it around and turned it upside down thinking there was a loose part inside but found nothing. I have a big fishing weekend planned up north and am thinking that I shouldn't use my auger if it makes this noise because it might lead to something worse but it seemed to run fine-Has anyone experienced anything like this before and if so what caused this? Should I run it and see what happens or bring it in and if so does anyone know a good auger repairman in Bemidji or Grand Rapids? Appreciate any advice-
redhooks

12 answers to this question

Thanks ST- I'll look into these-is there a site where I could see an diagram of these components? Do you think I can still use it tonight as is or should I take a night off and pull it apart until I can find the culprit?

I would take the night off. You dont want to realy wreck it that can be costly. I have found a site with the power head it was for the tec motor. I will try and find it again and put it on for you. I hope I can find it for you.

I cant find the manual that was online I think I have it book marked at home.

Red

[This message has been edited by redfisher (edited 02-05-2003).]

Hey Thanks again Surface Tension and Redfisher- S.T. you were right on with your diagnosis- it was the air vane rubbing and Redfisher I really appreciate the link for a roadmap to find what and where I was looking at. I'll be back to drillin' away tomorrow. You guys are prime examples of why this site rules and I owe you each a chilly one!Tight lines!
redhooks