Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redhooks

Bad sounds from my auger?

13 posts in this topic

I have a 10" strikemaster 3000 xl that is about 5 yrs old and has ran great up until last night. I drilled a couple holes last night while getting set up and when I went to drill another hole I heard this clanging comming from the head(kachingkachingkaching)sounded like a spoon was bouncing around inside or metal scraping metal. I continued to drill a couple more holes and there didn't seem to be any loss of power just this clanging noise even while the auger was idleing. I pulled the recoil off and looked around for something that could be rubbing or something floating around inside without seeing anything-I even shook it around and turned it upside down thinking there was a loose part inside but found nothing. I have a big fishing weekend planned up north and am thinking that I shouldn't use my auger if it makes this noise because it might lead to something worse but it seemed to run fine-Has anyone experienced anything like this before and if so what caused this? Should I run it and see what happens or bring it in and if so does anyone know a good auger repairman in Bemidji or Grand Rapids? Appreciate any advice-
redhooks

My first guess is the dog on the rewind is hanging up.
Second guess is the vain on the govenor is hitting the flywheel.

Thanks ST- I'll look into these-is there a site where I could see an diagram of these components? Do you think I can still use it tonight as is or should I take a night off and pull it apart until I can find the culprit?

I would take the night off. You dont want to realy wreck it that can be costly. I have found a site with the power head it was for the tec motor. I will try and find it again and put it on for you. I hope I can find it for you.

I cant find the manual that was online I think I have it book marked at home.

Red

[This message has been edited by redfisher (edited 02-05-2003).]

I would find out whats going on first.
You might want to check and see that the flywheel nut is tight to. Cant think of anything else that wouldnt be internal.

This is the search I used on google if you care (tecumseh service manual 2 cycle)
Red

Thanks for the links Redfisher- may the fishgods be smiling on your bait!

Hey Thanks again Surface Tension and Redfisher- S.T. you were right on with your diagnosis- it was the air vane rubbing and Redfisher I really appreciate the link for a roadmap to find what and where I was looking at. I'll be back to drillin' away tomorrow. You guys are prime examples of why this site rules and I owe you each a chilly one!Tight lines!
redhooks

Just passing on the info. I found that site by accident and It is a big help to have the book when you have problems. Good luck to you. Red

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Great pictures and even better memories.
    • Feb. 18, 2017 Chelsea Clinton took to Twitter this week asking her followers for some help identifying synonyms for the words “sick,” “horrifying” and “awful.” “I need a thesaurus. What’s another word for horrifying? Sick? Awful? Running out of adjectives these days that mean unconscionably terrible,” Clinton tweeting, linking to a story about an illegal immigrant who was detained when she sought a protective order against a domestic abuser. Clinton received a lot of responses, but one Twitter user gave Clinton an answer she never expected. That user is Juanita Broaddrick, one of the myriad of women that has accused Clinton’s father, former President Bill Clinton, of rape or sexual abuse. Broaddrick alleges that Clinton raped her in 1978 when he was attorney general of Arkansas. She responded to Clinton’s request by tweeting, “Well, since you asked, Here’s my definition of horrifying, sick & awful. Answer: Your father, Bill Clinton.” Twitter was entertained — and many thought Broaddrick should have added Clinton’s mom, twice-failed Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, to the list of synonyms for “horrifying” as well:  
    • Sonar units continue to be an anglers best friend. Still some suspended fish out there. Working every fish hard is key. Some fish are players and some pretenders. A good tullibee and perch bite in some areas amongst walleyes / saugers. The anglers working a spoon and a dead stick with a plain hook and minnow are doing good.  Key depth  29-33 ft in the morning/afternoon and 17-24 before dusk.  Best colors continue to be glow red and gold on jigging spoons tipped with minnow head or tail. Snow pack on the lake is disappearing and ice is still very good.   The Rainy River morning and evening bite has been okay. Know the river or use a resort or guide for safety. Warm weather and current will effect areas harsher than others.   The snowmobile trail is staked from Wheeler's Point to Baudette on the river.  Do not deviate from trail unless you are familiar with ice conditions.   Up at the NW Angle, fishing has really picked up. The dead stick is producing the most fish with depths under a foot off of the bottom. Lots fish in the slot, as well as some over 28 inches! On the Canadian side, walleyes are being caught in transition zones, with gold and pink and whites being the hot colors. The crappie bite is at 30 ft plus in the mud with Tungsten jigs tipped with plastic. Jigging spoons with a minnow head are also producing fish. Remember to move on to another species after you have your limit of crappies as these fish have a high mortality rate over 25' of water. Work through resorts and stay on ice road. Fish houses can stay on ice through March, walleyes/saugers through April 14th.  
    •   Because some door knob Atheist on a Fishing forum keeps bring it up even though they don't believe in it-oddly?  
    • 23 games in 41 days after the mandated break, and the horrid streak for teams after their break contiunes i think its like 3-13-4.  That is going to put a lot of strain on players playing that many games in that short amount of time.  We will probably be seeing Kemps at least once a week I would guess, but if he can be remotely close to his last start we should be alright.
    •   Where do you get your info?            
    • Thanks for the additional advice. I had been thinking that I didn't need the fancy EPS, ESP, etc.
    •   We don't need Jesus for that - Trump's already got it covered....
    •   Yup.   Being the policeman for the world is straining our finances but some seem to be blind to the fact that inviting more people to come over and risking more going on an already unsustainable welfare state will have the same effect.     Of course, we can continue to just print the money we need. And I don't think Jesus will be performing a Loaves and Fishes type miracle with our currency anytime soon.   I'm beginning to get what Del meant when he said go far enough to the right and you eventually become the left
  • Our Sponsors