• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy replacement blades.

LaVoi

Question

Well after three years of use on my Jiffy, my blades are about as dull as a bread knife. I have heard it is very hard to sharpen auger blades, just wondering how much a replacement chipper blade for my 10" would cost.

15 answers to this question

A single chipper blade costs less to replace than the two- or three-blade systems. But check with you local stores to see if they have an auger blade exchange program. That means you give them your blade and, for about half the price or a little more of a new blade, they sell you a used blade sharpened at the factory to factory specs.

But chipper blades are easy to sharpen, because they are flat. Likely there's some local business that sharpens them, or you can do it yourself.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-04-2003).]

If you turn your used blades in, thats what you get back not usually new ones. The used ones are resharpend but if your going to burn your blades for three years whats ten buck a year for a new set?

For the jiffy ice chipper blades they are easy to sharpen like others have said.I use a chop saw to sharpen mine.Use caution!but i turn it on and lock it so it stays on,then useing the sides of the chop saw blades i line my blade up at the propper angle and carefully put it next to the chop saw blade.just make sure it is the thicker blade on the chop saw and not the thinner ones,with very light even pressure it will give you a nice cleen edge!

sorry if there was confusion about the chop saw,its the metal cutting chop saw i was refering to with the abrasive blade.I use the flat side of the blade on it.it puts a nice straight edge on your auger blade that way as opossed to making passes on a round grind stone.If your not used to working around a metal chop saw then i wouldnt try this method.

------------------
cal

Thanks for the tip BW Eddy. I touched up my blades using your instructions on Friday night. My Jiffy was still cutting good, but I figured it couldn't hurt. On Saturday I took it out and it cut even better. It was like having new blades. Your tip regarding the center pick blade helped my brother out. His blades were very sharp but his auger still wouldn't cut. After sharpening the center blade, it cuts great.

Thanks again -

ScottO