• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permit Pulling Hypothetical

cheddar 86

What if someone buys a house with a basement that was finished without permits and wants to replace fully exposed utility room items (plumbing and electrical exposed)? Should they do the "right" thing and pull a permit? Or would inviting the inspector in for that be a very bad idea as it might snowball into having to rip everything out of the basement?

Do cities have data bases that would enable the Inspector to instantly notice something was done without a permit?

Thoughts...

A co-worker one time finished the inside of his garage. Some time shortly after completing the project he came home from work to find a note on his door from the inspector. He was told that he had to have the work in his garage inspected and failure to do so would result in his power turned off until he complied. He ended up exposing his wiring (cutting out sections of his new drywalling) so the inspector could verify that it was completed properly. He ended up having to patch the drywall to fix what he cut out. To this day he does not know how the inspector found out the work had been done.

Depending on the city inspector. They have the "right" to have things exposed so they can make sure it is done right. As much as permits stink to get in the long run it is less hassle. Computer systems make it so much easier for them to pull up what has recently been done according to permits before they go. If you bought it that way your inspector you may have gotten should have advised you to see if permits were pulled and completed for the projects before you bought the house.

Be calm and explain to the inspector and it will be easier.

I notice that people tend to get uncomfortable with the idea of having the work inspected. The truth is that it is done to help assure that the projects are done to code and this improves fire safety. When I did my home, I often called my inspector when I had questions about the code and he (both of them) were very helpful. When they came for the rough-in they told me what failed to meet code and I just had to make sure it was corrected for the final. Pretty simple. I'll never forget when my pole building was inspected I was told I did a nicer job than most contractors he deals with. That felt good.

The nice thing is that you can feel a little more confident that the job you did has a lower risk of causing a fire.

Just something to ponder- If you have an area that was finished off and not inspected properly and then have something like a fire, there is a possibility that you may find your insurance claim could be denied or at least the process may get very tricky due to the lack of inspection.

If this was done before you purchased it, was this on the disclosure statement? How long ago did you purchase the home? In many cases if you discover an omission within a certain time period you can file against the seller for failure to disclose.

If it was not you who did the work and if you contact the people in charge of permitting, they generally would do their best to work with you and resolve the problem. If you knowingly decline to address it then they could tend to be less willing to work with you when they do find out.

I'm confused. If all of the electrical and plumbing is fully exposed, and your "someone" wants to replace all of it, what is the problem with getting it inspected? In fact, bring the inspector through in the beginning. He'll see where you are running wires and pipes and tell you how to do it so that the rough and final inspections are minimally invasive.

I pulled permits for my basement renovation. I was mad that it cost almost $200 for all of them, but in the grand scheme of things I feel better knowing that it was all done correctly.

Person buys house with basement finished without permit...this is known by person buying - this person regrets decision later.

Person wants to replace heater, or water softener (required permit by city to replace). Plumbing and electrical obviously exposed around these items in utility room.

Inspector has to walk through finished basement to get to utility room.

Can/does Inspector make person rip out finished portions of basement hiding plumbing/electrical/framing if he knows the basement was finished without a permit?

Obviously this isn't a black and white situation. But do people think it's worth risking and opening can of worms?

Are there certain cities in the metro where people have had experiences like this and perhaps results of how it turned out.

If the stuff is not to code and potentially dangerous, what is the downside to having that brought to your attention to fix?

Sure, it could cost money, maybe lots of it, but that's not the most important consideration, is it?

Personally, unless what is wrong is grossly obvious (and in that case needs to be fixed) I doubt the inspector is going to go on a witch hunt beyond what he's there for and any clearly associated points/items.

I'm confused. If all of the electrical and plumbing is fully exposed, and your "someone" wants to replace all of it, what is the problem with getting it inspected? In fact, bring the inspector through in the beginning. He'll see where you are running wires and pipes and tell you how to do it so that the rough and final inspections are minimally invasive.

I pulled permits for my basement renovation. I was mad that it cost almost $200 for all of them, but in the grand scheme of things I feel better knowing that it was all done correctly.

Wow! $200.00? I don't think it cost me that much for all of the inspections in my home combined and I replaced the main service panel, stripped the house to the wall studs, and rewired the entire thing. The electrical portion of my home remodel was the least expensive part of the whole project.

Buy the permit, get the inspections and be done with it. The inspectors aren't the enemy.

What he said.

I don't work much with residential type inspectors but I often deal with state and insurance boiler inspectors, piping inspectors, and AI's (ASME inspectors). They're all pretty darn easy to work with.

in some areas, if you try to sell your house with a finished basement, but never pulled permits, your kinda S.O.L.

you probably will have to do it and get permits..

this has held up alot of closings.

I'd thought I'd throw in this antidote ...... I sometimes take a fishing trip with with a bunch of guy who are all fire fighters from a major southern city. They tell lots of stories about all the fires they've been to. One thing they frequently say is that when they go to a suburban residential fire they head for the home's addition, basement or the garage because that's where the homeowner or his good buddy did the electrical wiring. I think there is good reason to get inspections and hire pros when necessary.

Quote:
Buy the permit, get the inspections and be done with it. The inspectors aren't the enemy.

What he said.

I don't work much with residential type inspectors but I often deal with state and insurance boiler inspectors, piping inspectors, and AI's (ASME inspectors). They're all pretty darn easy to work with.

Had to laugh when I read this. I take it you've never worked with MSHA?