• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adventure Ideas Wanted (8hrs from MPLS)

ballbluff

A group of buddies of mine always go on an annual fishing trip. We are based in Minneapolis, so we have a lot of options. We have big boats and have gone to Rainy, LOW, Crane, VNP, Etc. This year we are looking for ideas for a good/wild adventure, we do not mind camping or putting in some work but would prefer to use our motors (already did a quetico trip). We are OK with spending some money but need to keep it in reason (need to be boat-in or drive-in). We are primarily walleye fisherman, but will go for pretty much anything.

Any good ideas or suggestions that may be outside the norm for quality fishing?? Up for any and all suggestions. Looking for under an 8 hour drive from MPLS-- but could stretch it... Feel free to PM me also.

Murray, cottonwood, nobles, pipestone counties in the southwest part of MN are excellent areas to fish as well. and its only bout a 3 hour drive from the metro. Slayton is a good center to start from, as there are bout 8 lakes within a 40 mile radius that are good walleye lakes.

Big boats and "Wild" adventures usually don't hand in hand. It sounds like you've already hit the typical big wilderness areas of MN - you're probably not going to get more remote than those Border waters.

It sounds like you need a 10 hr circle and getting into Canada or do the Superior thing. The next best option in my mind would be a camping trip on the Mississippi.

This might not be all that wild, but it can be quite a fishing adventure. Everyone who loves to fish will really enjoy a trip to Lac Suel, Its more than 8 hours, but when you are all packed up and rollin a few more hours is easy to drive. Access is out of Ear Falls on the west side and the Sioux Lookout area on the west, If you want something more wild, try a houseboat. The outfitter will guide you to a great fishing area where you park the boat and work the lake from there. Its big water and great fishing.

Adventure is not the word I think of when I hear walleye fishing....

+1

Adventure to walleye fisherman is like spicy is to my wife. A dash of pepper is too much. :-)

Leave your lindy rigs, shore lunch, and bucket of minnows at home. This is less than 8 hours away. And you can relax and don't even have to drive. ;-) Thousands of rivers, millions of lakes. Alaska is the opposite of walleye. :-)

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0003-3.jpg

DSC_0018-1-1.jpg

DSC_0035-1.jpg

Chippewa Flowage by Hayward, Wi. Lots of other great lakes within a stones throw of there.

I'm headed up there in the a.m. for Mon-Thurs camping and fishing. There are a fair amount of free island campsites on the lake, as well as some pay sites run by the indians.

I would add Vermilion and Turtle Flambeau Flowage to the list for a similar experience smile

Consider this: leave all the boats at home. Go to Vermillion and rent a houseboat, the larger size. Tow a couple 16' outboard boats for fishing. A few guys on a nice big barge, fully equipped will have a ball for three days or a week. I'll bet you can have an adventure that everybody will remember for a long time.

Contact Superbee on this site (you can find him in the Canada forum) and head up to Pipestone Lake in Ontario for walleye, lake trout, muskie, pike, smallmouth, and largemouth. It will be about a 20-25 mile boatride to his outpost cabin on the most beautiful lake I've ever seen. A mechanical portage 1/4 of the way there will pull your boats over a hill and into the lake, and will drastically cut down on the number of people you will see. About a 7 hour drive from the cities. A great mix of adventure and excellent fishing!

Just got back from the north shore and would suggest some of the bigger lakes in Superior National Forest that have concrete ramps. You can get a really nice map from the forest service that shows you where all the ramps and campsites are for $10. Other than that I really like the Isle Royal idea. If you want to go big, Lake Superior has plenty of adventure to offer. And Alaska would be the mother load... I'll be daydreaming now.

Think about doing Lake of the Woods again but rather than picking one section, hit them all. Start in Morson and head East or West, moving your camp 20 miles or so each day. You can do a complete circle and end up back in Morson in a week or so.

Woods is just such a big complex lake and it would be pretty sweet to get a taste of each different section in a weeks time. You'll have good fishing for everything at different areas - walleye, sauger, perch, pike, musky, crappie, smallmouth, and largemouth. My guess is you'll find one section you like the best and want to spend your entire week there next year.