Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seaduck

Which GPS should I get???

16 posts in this topic

I have a Magellan 330M and am very happy with it. I have also had a Garmin but I find the menus and settings to be easier and more intuitive on the Magellan. It has a basic map of the US installed on it and came with a coupon for a CD with detailled maps that can be uploaded to the unit from the computer. I to thought I didn't need the maps, but now that I have them I find them helpful quite often.

I am going to purchase a GPS but not sure which one.

I will only use it for hunting and fishing,so I dont need thr city roads and such.

I was thinking of the Garmin e trex legend,or the Magellan 330 M .

I don't know much about them,some say waas capable and such, not sure what that means.

Can I put in cord. from you guys and then go right to that spot??? How accurate are they?

I have been fishing on Big Winni and found 2 sharp breaks I would like to mark real soon, as soon as I figure out which GPS to buy. I think I could find them again,within the next week or so.

Thanks guys for any help and info.

Don't buy one...You will become dependent and that is not good. Don't waste the money, give it to a church.

i have an e-trex legend and i also got garmin's mapsource US topo software to support it. the legend has a built in base map,which i found comes in handy at times. i dont go in the woods without it, even when i know where i am at or going. its saves time trying to remember things(sign)from time to time and the locations. i just mark it and move on. when i get home i download it into mapsource and thats that. when you dont need it you delete it or upload it back into the unit. the software is in the 100,000 series, which i like the 24,000 series (more dtail). the makers of that software are unable to download their stuff into any gps.

Bigfoot, I've had a couple units and I now have settled on the Magellan 330M. I really like it, I think you might too. Polar Bear

I think that is the one I am going to get as well. Sounds like a pretty good unit,and it should do everything I want it to do.

Thanks for everyones help!!

the garmin gps map 76 has waas capability
(which means it can pinpoint a smaller area)
It also can be programed from your computer
by downloading any hotspots fishing map software.
You can actually pre program your fishing trip right off your computer!
In my opinion, If you want a gps that is capable of downloading lakemaps ,this is the best available!
I have one and I just love it!
P.S. you'll never be lost, It has built in highway maps too!

Have any of you guys noticed a large difference in positions between summer and winter? I know my lake spots I save in summer are not the same poition in winter. I can not change the date in my Garmin GPS 12 and I was thinking this may be part of the problem. Going back to the same places in summer is OK, but 6 months later I am always off. Now I have started saving the same positions between winter and summer. Thanks, iceyooper

have any of you herd of the garmin GPS 72? This is everything this GPS has;

Built-in quad helix receiving antenna
High-contrast FSTN, 4-level gray scale (120 x 160 pixels) display
Backlit display and keypad
Permanent user data storage; no memory battery required
Water resistant, IEC-529, IPX7 (Submersible 1 meter @ 30 minutes) and floatable
500 user waypoints with name and graphic symbol; 50 reversible routes
Position formats include Lat/Lon, UTM, Loran TDs, Maidenhead, MGRS, and user grid
Audible alarms for anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint, and clock
"Large numbers" option for easy viewing
1 MB internal memory for loading MapSource Points of Interest data
Trip computer provides odometer, stopped time, moving average, overall average, total time, max speed, and more
Automatic track log; 10 saved tracks let you retrace your path in both directions
Course and speed filtering
Built-in celestial tables for best time to fish, plus sun and moon calculations It is also WAS enabled.

ALso, is 1mb of memory enough? It would mainly be used for fishing spots and sometimes trips to other lakes. I know one has 8mbs i believe. buts its about $200.00 more for the unit.

What other type of hand held GPS's should I also look at? I would like to save lots of points on lakes. Also I like the track back feature that Garmin has, do any of the others have that feature? Also, what about external memory cartridges? I Dont know if the make such a thing but im wondering.

open to opinions would only like to spend up to $250, or around the area.

I'm a fan of the Lowrance I-Finder Plus. It is really easy to use, and of course the computer downloadability is nice also.

I have had a Lowrance Global Map 100 handheld unit for about 2 yrs now. Have used it for hunting and fishing pretty steady in the past two years. Absolutly love it, easy to use, very accurate, and seems to be durable. It also has the software and computer cable if you so desire although to date I have not purchased it and haven't really needed it. As I recall the unit was around the $200 mark. Just my two cents.

Chow

BIGFOOT,

I know a good HSOforum for you to check out if your still interested in doing some research before you buy. I tried to post it earlier but it got yanked. Let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

northern blue

Thanks I went there before it got pulled.Saved it, lots of great info there.

Moderators,sorry we should have e-mailed each other.

garmin 12 and dont buy it at a store. Go to www.gpsworldsupply.com. Here that unit will cost you $99 anywhere else about $140. This unit is user friendly and a good unit for the money. I also have a lawrance global map 100 and like it but for just marking your fishing hot spot go with the garmin

Bigfoot,

Glad you got the info and saved the site. There is a lot of good info there. I really like the "What's new" link. It keeps you up to date with all the GPS software updates.

Moderators, I too apologize. The site I posted about doesnt actually sell GPS or accessories so I didn't think it would be a problem. I won't do it in the future.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Looking for ideas of what to check next.  I have a 1991 75hp Mariner outboard and I am losing pressure on my fuel line.  I have to pump the bulb first time out in the morning and then again if I fish in one spot for a while.  If I do not it will bog down on me and may or may not kill.  If I pump the bulb too much while I am bogging down I will partially flood the motor and kill it.  I then have to turn the key for several 15 second bursts or more to start the motor.   I have replace the bulb fuel line twice to make sure I didn't get a bad one the first time.  I also replaced the fuel line from my built in gas tank to where it goes to connect with the bulb gas line.   Does this sound like the fuel pump?  I want to eliminate any cheap fixes that I can before replacing the fuel pump.  I blew a cylinder a few years ago and I assume the carbs were all redone at that time by my guy.   I owned it for the past 20 years and I have only used non oxy fuel.   Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for any help.
    • Preds make it to the finals.  I thought someone said they were the last team in and technically the 16 seed.   Who ever they face in the finals it will be a battle, hope the Sens make it.  But would be nice to see Cullen get a cup.
    • My hunt in WI this past weekend was tough as well.  I found tons of ramps, they grow everywhere in the area we hunted, but zero morels.  I saw a few pheasant backs, but did not pick them as they did not interest me.  
    • I finally just said screw it, so I picked a couple of guys that I thought would do good (Christie, and Rojas) and some over looked guys that have had a little success this year, and were from the area.  Would never had expected Alton Jones Jr, to go from 80 something place on day 1 to the top 12.  Glad he was on my team though
    • Added these for the fry pan to go with some turkey also.  
    • If you haven't planted your tomatoes yet......plant them laying down on their side. Pick off all the branches up to the top.Lay the plant in a trench and cover the stem up to the top. Put a soil pillow under the top. Just be careful not to break the stem (I have). Tomatoes are the only plant that will send out roots from the buried stem. You will wind up with a large root ball to feed the plant. This also puts the roots closer to the surface where the soil is warmer instead of deep where it is cool.
    • Another disaster. I tried making relatively safe picks, and bombed. I have gone from the top 60 after two events all the way down to just over the 90th percentile. I need to just go with my gut
    • that is what we were thinking too.
    • Live link.   http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/features/webcams/falconcam/index.html      

• BEFORE BEGINNING

Before you begin, make sure you have a good strong battery and make sure it's charged up. If you have a bad or weak battery, you may want to replace it because if it doesn't crank good and strong, you are likely to get a low, inaccurate reading. Make sure your engine is warmed up to operating temperature(if possible). About 10 minutes of riding should do.

First, take out the spark plug and thread in the adapter for the compression tester. Make sure you have the correct size adapter for your particular ATV. Slide your kill switch to the "off" position. Some ATVs won't crank over with the kill switch in the "off" position, so if yours is like this, then you will need to either unhook your ignition coil or ground the end of the spark plug wire to a good ground. You can use a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end to ground it. Next, make sure the throttle is in the wide open position. You can either hold the throttle lever with your thumb or you may be able to tape it or use a zip tie to fasten it to your handlebars to hold it in the wide open position. If you don't have the throttle in the wide open position, you will probably get too low of a reading. Also, if you are testing a newly rebuilt engine, the engine needs to have been run for, at least, 30 or 40 minutes or you will probably get too low of a reading.

NOTE: Before you begin with the actual test, make sure the threaded adapter is screwed in good and isn't leaking any air out around it.

ACTUAL TESTING

With the throttle in the wide open position, push the start button and crank the engine over until the hand on the gauge stops moving. Each time the engine turns over the hand should raise a little more until it reaches the maximum compression of the engine. When it stops, that is your compression reading. This usually takes no more than 10 seconds. Try to avoid cranking an engine for more than 10 seconds at a time as this is hard on the starter and the battery. Now, push the relief valve on your compression gauge and that will reset the hand back to zero. It's a good ideal to repeat the test a couple or three times to make sure you get an accurate reading. On kick start models, it will be the same procedure, but obviously you will be kicking it over instead of using a start button. Worn piston rings and cylinder walls will increase the number of strokes it takes to reach the maximum reading. If you're kicking, it could possibly take as many as 10-20 kicks to get the highest reading.

THE READING

You will need to check your repair manual for your particular model for the correct compression specifications. See note below. Usually, an engine will run OK if it has at least 100 PSI of compression. Most engines will have somewhere between 100-250 and some as high as 300 PSI, depending on the engine. Sometimes they will run with under 100 PSI, but usually not very well. If you get a low reading, you can do a "wet test" to try to help determine the problem.

If your reading is too high, then you probably have carbon built up on your piston and combustion chamber.

NOTE: You may get a low reading on some engines because some engines have a decompressor assembly built into the camshaft. Check the service manual for your quad to see whether or not your quad has a decompressor assembly built into the cam.

WET TEST

If you got a low reading, pour about 1-2 teaspoons of clean motor oil down into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and do the compression test again. If your reading increases, then your rings or cylinder walls are probably worn. If your reading doesn't increase, then it's probably your valves. You could have a bent valve, you may have leaky valve seats, or your valve clearance may not be adjusted properly. Also, low compression can be caused by a blown head gasket.

CAUSES OF LOW COMPRESSION

*Worn piston rings or worn or damaged cylinder walls
      *Leaking valves
      *Valve clearance not properly set
      *Blown head gasket

CAUSE OF HIGH COMPRESSION (stock engines)

*Carbon buildup in combustion chamber and on piston

NOTE: Compression testing is a good way to keep track or "gauge" the wear in your engine. When you first get your ATV or when you rebuild the engine in your ATV, you can do a compression test and then later on, you can do them periodically. This will help you determine the wear in your engine each time you do a compression test and will guide you in knowing when your engine needs rebuilding.

This is about all I can think of. I hope I didn't leave anything out and I hope this helps everyone with their compression tests.
  • Our Sponsors