• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kiss of Death

Tonka Boy

Question

A few weeks ago there was a post about Strikemaster augers. I posted how "my aguer is the longest running, most reliable piece of ice fishing equiptment I own". I've had it for 13 years and it never missed a beat. That night I got onto the lake, drilled a couple holes, and my auger took a dump on me...the engine is shot. It sure is unbelieveable how that happens!

It was unfortunate, but I'm buying another Strikemaster without question.

------------------
Tonka Boy

6 answers to this question

If it's just the motor, go buy a new powerhead without the auger shaft and get off more cheaply. That should save you nearly $100. Your Strikemaster shaft should work with any Strikemaster head.

I don't want to start another argument, but I'll state my opinion that if you have a 9- or 10-inch auger, get a 3 hp head. If it's an 8-inch or smaller, go with the lighter 2 hp.

Of course, it's nice to go get the whole new gig sometimes, instead of buy things peacemeal.

Also, Strikemaster, Jiffy and Eskimo all use the same Tecumseh motors, so the fact that yours gave up has nothing to do with whether it's sold by Strikemaster, Jiffy, etc. wink.gif

Good luck and good fishing.

------------------
"I've driven farther before to catch fewer fish . . ."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

The cheapest solution to the problem might be a new short block assembly. Call the Strike Master service center. Or there is a place in Howard Lake called Joe's Sports that has done the rebuild for a couple of guys I know who were satisfied with the results. Of course, if you get out there they might beat you and force you to fish Crappies and Walleyes on Howard Lake. A fate worse than death. On the right night it will spoil you for Twin Cities lakes.

Hey, now is the time to rebuild it and soup it up.Then you can compete in the auger races in Brainard next year smile.gif
Put a big bore kit in it and a K&N filter, run methinal gas.Tear through that ice like a blow torch through ice cream!!!!
Benny

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! It is kind of ironic, but last night I went out fishing with a friend of mine that has the same auger. He pulled the rope once, the recoil broke. Then he squeezed the throttle and the trottle cable broke. Since neither of us now have an auger, we ended up borrowing one from a helpful fellow on the lake. After everything was said and done, we had, by far, the best crappie fishing of the season.

It looks like we both have some work to do before the weekend. Good luck fishing!

------------------
Tonka Boy