• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Perch size to be a "mounter"

Gus

What do you all think is a trophy perch worthy of the wall?

My son caught a 12 1/2" perch last weekend. I'm debating on what to do. It's probably more special to me than him.. but I'm ok with that.

At this point it would be a replica if I do anything.

Just curious what others think is a "trophy" perch.

Thanks!

That is a very nice perch. I would say mount it they make pretty mounts. A trophy is in the eye of beholder. I have a 4 and a half pound northern mounted I know it is small but I won a fishing contest with it. If the story is behind the fish is good enough any fish is a trophy.

My take on mounting anything is that it is less about size (insert "that's what she said" or other inappropriate joke here), and more about the memory of the catch.

If it your son's first big catch, it'll mean more to have that mounted than a 14 inch he might catch in 10 years.

If there is a great story to go with it, any fish is mountable.

I missed out on a fishing trip to LOTW this past weekend with a charter out of zippel and a friend caught a 31.5" walleye, unhooked, measured and released. It's all a matter of preference and if it really means something to the particular person. Also consider the body of water. A 12.5" perch on LOTW could be considered somewhat of a dink, but on others it's a trophy. Congratulations on the catch and which ever way you and him go with it enjoy trying to top it!

What do you all think is a trophy perch worthy of the wall?

My son caught a 12 1/2" perch last weekend. I'm debating on what to do. It's probably more special to me than him.. but I'm ok with that.

At this point it would be a replica if I do anything.

Just curious what others think is a "trophy" perch.

Thanks!

Hey, I mounted a Looper for my son since it may be the only fish he really had a lot of fun catching. And now that he has been in college for the last 5 years. It maybe the last fish he caught when we got to fish together! frown Can't replace memories! smile

I would mount it if that was your first thought. I wouldn't take any of our advise, including mine. Life seems to go better when you listen to yourself. I have some big mounts and some smaller ones. Sounds like a nice looking mount if done right.

If it's special to you, get it mounted. There is no "size" limit and folks mount fish because of the memories and the meaning for them. Perch make some really pretty mounts and they're a fine addition to anyone's trophy wall.