• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake of the Woods Mapping Chip -- which one is best???

I have the Lowrance 2012 Lake Insight Pro map chip which has much of Lake of the woods on it, but stops just to the South of the area we are going to be goind mid June.

I have compared my chip to whats on the "Woods-Rainy" chip from Lakemaster and they appear identical.

Here is a link to coverage of the Lakemaster chip:

http://www.lakemap.com/uploadedFiles/Website_Library_Assets/Files/WR_v4_2013(1).pdf

Question is, is Navionics any better? The specific area I am looking at is shaded in blue on the map at the link provided toward the upper right corner of the inset box on the big map.

Does Navionics have a larger coverage than the Lakemaster one? If so, which chip do I have to get?

I have the Navionics US NOrth app on my phone and it does not have that area mapped either.

Thanks Guru. None of the retailers here in St Cloud have them in stock and I want to see it with my eyes before I order it and find it possibly no better than what I have.

Now I have a chip to target. Might have to make a trek to the big C store or somewhere to find a place I can visually compare.

Thanks again.

I have the Navionics Canada chip as well as the Navionics Premium North and the Rainy / Woods chip. If you can find a compatible Rainy / Woods chip, that has the most detail. The Canada chip is adequate but as you go north, the detail drops.

You can also check on the Navionics web site under Product, then click on web app. this will show US side only the Canadian side is not availbale due to the HO in Canada. you can send me a PM with where you are looing for and I will send you a Screen Shot of the area. Need Lat./Long please.

JNoel, I sent you a PM with info.

Magnum Mike, I had looked at the brand new Woods/Rainy chip on a Humminbird but it had the same exact level of detail as my Lowrance Chip. It stops just South of where we are going to be camping.

I am resigning myself to think that proper mapping may not exist for the area we are going, which will make my first ever trip to this area an even bigger adventure.

JNoel, have you had a chance to look at what I sent you?

On a related note, I did find out what chip the other guy has its a 2007 Woods/Rainy chip and my suspicion is that some copyright thing happened and large areas have been removed due to that from the more recent chips because the new ones do not have this data.

Hopeful Navionics has it otherwise we will be "winging" it in my boat. :-)